Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  2003

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE 2003

Re: Stress in the NHS? West DORSET!

"Jones Barbara (RH8) R D and Exeter HC Tr" <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:03:43 +0100

Thanks for that.  As am employee of a 3 star trust in Devon I was surprised
to read your comment and have just discovered that this is Dorset.  However
the issues it raises could apply to us all.  Stress is something most NHS
staff feel much of the time.  One of the aspects that seems to benefit the
Royal Devon & Exeter Trust is that there is generally good communication
between medics and managers so that at least concerns can be voiced openly
and we can sometimes find ways of achieving a 'win-win' of achieving the
targets that are important to the DoH and developing services in a way that
is meaningful to the clinicians.

I agree that imposing yet more targets will only increase stress.  One of
the benefits of becoming a three star organisation was that we were supposed
to receive 'earned autonomy' and less tergets/interference from others.  It
certainly doesn't feel like that!  It is also part of the reasoning behind
applying for Foundation status, as again, this has been suggested as a way
to reduce top down heavy handed control.

I'm just about to leave the hospital for a new job working accross the local
health community.  I think one of the most important aspects of my new role
will be to enable people to interact more freely with others.  Any advice on
how to achieve this would be welcomed.

Barbara Jones