To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=COMMONWEALTHLEGALED;90274b13.1604p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Spring 2016
CLEA Newsletter

New Commonwealth Secretary-General

Rt Hon Patricia Scotland QC has taken office as Secretary-General of the Commonwealth of Nations. Nominated for the post by Dominica, she is the first woman to hold the post.
In her speech, she described herself as “a classic child of the Commonwealth” - born in the Caribbean and brought up in London.
She highlighted her journey of “firsts” - from the first black woman to join the Queen’s Counsel in the United Kingdom, the first woman to hold the position of UK Attorney General and the first woman Commonwealth Secretary-General. She had been “rather sad” at being first and looked forward to supporting new generations of female leaders, she said.
Patricia Scotland

Read the CLEA blog post for more details.

CLA Workshop on Finance & Banking

CLEA are supporting the Commonwealth Lawyers Association's master workshop to be held in Cyprus 19-20 May 2016. Cyprus is recognised internationally as a country where Finance and Banking play a prominent role and this workshop is aimed at a variety of practitioners and academics.
For further details see:
http://www.claworkshops.com/workshop-information
.

New Report on Human Rights

The International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI) have a new report entitled "The role of the Universal Periodic Review in advancing human rights in the administration of justice".
Having a well equipped legal profession, trained to defend human rights in the court system, plays a major role in fostering change on the ground which in turn results in greater protection of human rights.
Qualitative and quantitative insights highlighting this point are brought forth in the report.
The report can be downloaded from their website: http://www.ibanet.org.

"The Judiciary as Guarantors of the Rule of Law"

The next Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Association conference will take place 18-22 September 2016 entitled "The Judiciary as Guarantors of the Rule of Law" in Georgetown, Guyana.
For further details, see the CMJA Website.

CLEA Newsletter

The newsletter is produced electronically and sent out three or four times per year. To read our previous newsletters please visit http://www.clea-web.com/publications/the-newsletter.
Newsletters are sent via email using the JISCmail service. We also send periodic undates to our subscribers regarding our conferences, events and publications.
To sign up for our newsletters and emails, please visit the CLEA website. Please feel free to distribute this email to colleagues within your institution or other networks.

CLEA Conference 2017 comes to Australia

(Back to Top)

Our biennial conference will take place in March 2017 in Melbourne Australia

Image

The Association hosts a biennial conference, typically at the same time and location as the Commonwealth Lawyers Conference (see below). We will be hosting a legal education conference in Melbourne Australia in March 2017. We will announce details on our CLEA Conferences section of our website when a local host institution has been agreed. Please contact the CLEA General Secretaries Michael Bromby or Patricia McKellar for any queries. A call for papers and workshops will be announced shortly.

READ MORE

Commonwealth Lawyers Conference 2017

(Back to Top)

20-24 March 2017

Image

The Law Institute of Victoria has won its bid to host the prestigious 20th Commonwealth Law Conference in Melbourne, Australia in March 2017. The last time the conference was in Australia was 2003 when it was also held by the Law Institute of Victoria with the support of the Law Council of Australia. That conference was highly successful and attended by over 1000 delegates. Further details can be found at https://commonwealthlawyers.com

READ MORE

Book Review: Broadcasting Reproduction Right in India: Copyright and Neighbouring Right Issues

(Back to Top)

Review by Joe Silva of Prof. S Sivakumar and Dr. Lisa P. Lukose's new book

Image

The book is written in plain and lucid language, making it comprehensible to layman and legal practitioner alike. It carries a Foreword by the Chief Justice of India, honourable Altamas Kabir, who, in no uncertain words, expresses his appreciation of this phenomenal research carried out by the authors, and presents the book as a 'milestone' among the publications of the Indian Law Institute.

The book is priced at US $15, and is available at the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi, 110 001, India.

READ MORE

CLEA's Journal of Comonwealth Law and Legal Education

(Back to Top)

Ongoing call for papers on legal education or legal developments within Commonwealth jurisdictions

Image

The online, open access, peer-reviewed journal is published on a rolling basis in collaboration with The Open University School of Law and is the official journal of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA).
For details of how to submit a paper, please visit the Journal website for more details.

READ MORE

Visit to Ghana Institute of Advanced Legal Studies

(Back to Top)

Patricia McKellar, Joint CLEA General Secretary, visited GIALS in Accra, Ghana in February.

Image

GIALS was established in 2006 with the express purpose of furthering human development by widening access to quality legal education, training and research and through capacity building programmes. Part of its mission is to work with universities, the legal profession, industry, civil society organisations, and the community to develop programmes of research, consultancy and teaching with focus on social, economic and sustainable development. GIALS has also been working closely with the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies in London. Patricia met with Director and Professor of Law & Legal Education Stephen Offei (pictured) as well as Victor Chimbwanda, Policy Dialogue & Projects Co-ordinator. CLEA is exploring ways in which we can support the development of learning & teaching practice in legal education in Ghana.

READ MORE

You are subscribed to CLEA Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=COMMONWEALTHLEGALED&A=1

c/o LCAD,
Commonwealth Secretariat,
Marlborough House