To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=COMMONWEALTHLEGALED;3f8dbcb0.1607p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Summer 2016
CLEA Newsletter

Special Edition Newsletter

This is an additional newsletter to alert you to three news items that just couldn't wait until our Autumn newsletter!

CLEA organise a conference every two years, so we are pleased to announce the call for papers for our Melbourne conference in 2017.
Please also alert your students to our essay competition, which also takes place every two years, that is now open for entries.

Finally, there is always a rolling call for papers for our peer-reviewed journal.

Please distribute this newsletter to your network, individuals can sign up for our newsletters (normally 3 per year) and conference alerts on the CLEA Newsletters page, where previous editions can also be found.

Kind regards,

Michael Bromby
Patricia McKellar
Joint General-Secretaries to CLEA

Commonwealth Moot 2017

The Commonwealth Moot is organised by CLEA and the Commonwealth Lawyers Association, taking place at the CLA's Melbourne conference in 2017.

It is an ‘invitation-only’ Moot, being limited to representative teams nominated by CLEA representatives who base their nominations on the results of the continental, regional or national moot competitions involving Commonwealth countries in their regions. It has been the tradition that, wherever the competition is held, the local Law Society plays a major role in organising the venues, the judges, and the accommodation for the visiting teams so that the entire competition runs smoothly.
A significant feature of the Commonwealth Moot has been the willingness of members of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association and associated organisations, who attend the Commonwealth Law Conference, to readily forego their valuable time to judge the moots of the competition. This willingness shown by the senior members of the Commonwealth Bar and the Judiciary sets the Commonwealth Moot apart from other moots.

There are very few international mooting competitions in which the bench judging the finals, more often than not, consists of Chief Justices from countries, provinces and states across the Commonwealth.

Previous winners, as listed on the Winners' Shield:

2015 (in United Kingdom) – Canada
2013 (in South Africa) – United Kingdom
2011 (in India) – Sri Lanka
2009 (in Hong Kong) – South Africa
2007 (in Kenya) – Australia
2005 (in United Kingdom) – Canada
2003 (in Australia) – United Kingdom
2001 (in Sri Lanka) – United Kingdom
1999 (in Malaysia) – South Africa
1996 (in Canada) – Australia
1993 (in Cyprus) – Canada
1990 (in New Zealand) – United Kingdom
1986 (in Jamaica) – United Kingdom
1983 (in Hong Kong) – Australia

1st call for papers for the 2017 conference

(Back to Top)

CLEA Conference in Melbourne, Australia

Image

The Association invites law teachers and practitioners from around the Commonwealth and other Common law jurisdictions to submit abstracts of papers (of not more than 500 words) for this forthcoming conference.

Abstracts should be submitted by 28th October 2016. Acceptances will be intimated within three weeks of receipt subject to the availability of spaces within the conference programme. The CLEA Conference will take place alongside the Commonwealth Lawyers Conference in Melbourne from 21st-24th March 2017, exact dates to be confirmed.

For further details, please see the CLEA conference website for full details of the conference and calls for papers.

READ MORE

Student essay competition 2016

(Back to Top)

Our competition is now open for law students

Image

This year sees the launch of our 6th Essay Competition. The competition is open to all students registered on an undergraduate law degree course within a Higher Education Institution in a Commonwealth Nations (see website for the full competition rules). The competition closes on 31 October 2016.

The title for this year is:

"To what extent is it true to claim that the fundamental principles embodied in the Magna Carta are just as significant today as they were in 1215, since they are the foundation of constitutional provisions relating to the rule of law and democracy in most parts of the world, especially the Commonwealth?"

Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of first, second and third places as follows: 1st Prize: £250; 2nd Prize: £100; 3rd Prize: £50.

The winners will feature in the CLEA Newsletter and winning entries may also be considered for publication in our Journal.

READ MORE

Call for papers

(Back to Top)

Journal of Commonwealth Law and Legal Education

Image

There is an ongoing call for papers for our peer-reviewed journal.

The aim of the Commonwealth Law and Legal Education (the Journal) is to foster and promote high standards of legal education in the Commonwealth. It does this by providing a platform for early career and established academics, and others involved in law and legal education, throughout the Commonwealth to publish their work and share scholarship, innovation and best practice on a wide variety of legal matters and themes.

It is an online, open access, peer-reviewed journal published in collaboration with the Open University School of Law and is the official journal of the Association.

READ MORE

You are subscribed to CLEA Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=COMMONWEALTHLEGALED&A=1

c/o LCAD,
Commonwealth Secretariat,
Marlborough House