ReCoVER Workshop: Next Generation HPC architectures for studying climate variability (Back to Top)

Date: 20th - 22nd March 2017

Location: Innovation Centre, University of Exeter

Expressions of interest: If you are interested to participate in this workshop, please complete and submit the form by 15th January 2017: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJuk7u2-JIaO1e0NHb_4BE1BCCfRk-XPQUOpqPMy10iv7oHw/viewform

Aim:
The purpose of this meeting is to imagine and build a roadmap for taking advantage of next-generation HPC computer architectures for studying climate variability. This is thought to be a serious issue since most parallelisation strategies used in state-of-the-art climate models have the following issues: 1) the number of cores is nearly optimal for today’s grid resolutions – adding more compute cores no longer decreases the time-to-solution and 2) increases in grid resolution require longer simulation times due to the CFL criteria. Therefore, current climate models will have to be retooled to improve both numerical methods and compute/software infrastructure to make use of more parallelism.

At the present moment, most climate models will scale well on machines thought to be suitable contenders for ARCHER 2, but beyond that less is known both about the possible architectures and strategies for ‘going beyond the strong scaling limit’. Some areas of discussion include:

1. What sort of novel numerical algorithms might be developed (and applied to environmental modelling) that fully exploit emerging architectures, and what are the challenges to numerical analysts from these algorithms?

2. While the longer-term processes of item 1 are ongoing throughout the next decade, what can we do to make best use of these architectures? For example, should we concentrate on more ensemble runs, more statistics/machine learning, or diverse model runs at the same time? Are there new science questions that can be asked that can have an impact on UK and international science?

Follow-on funding: This is a workshop organised by the EPSRC network ReCoVER www.recoverlwec.org. The network will offer participants the opportunity to apply for a feasibility funding project of up to £25k to follow up ideas from the workshop.

READ MORE

CliMathNet Survey (Back to Top)

CliMathNet was set up with the support of EPSRC in 2013 and has support to continue running until 2018 via the EPSRC support of ReCoVER.

Beyond then, we would like CliMathNet to continue, if it can, to provide ongoing support to those interested in research in the application of and development of mathematics/statistics for climate and weather.

We have set up a survey, that we would appreciate your participation in. The purpose of the survey is to help us decide what aspects of the CliMathNet activities are important to continue so it is possible to plan for this.

You will find the survey here: https://goo.gl/forms/0iZPuTX8NDFTFN9B3

Many thanks to those who have already completed the survey.

Many thanks, the CliMathNet team.

READ MORE

ReCoVER Funding Calls (Back to Top)

Outreach Funding:

Outreach funding is available from ReCoVER for activities that highlight research within the ReCoVER remit to the general public or to end users. Funding of up to £1k is available for actitivies of up to 3 months and can include travel and subsistence expenses, venue hire, consumables for user engagement, equipment expenses, refreshments and PhD student and postgrad time.

Mini-Project or Meeting Fund:

Funding is available from ReCoVER to support researchers who wish to organise a small collaborative visit or a small meeting. Funding is up to £2K and for up to 1 month and can be used for travel and subsistence and consumable expenses.

READ MORE

NCAS Public Engagement Training Course (Back to Top)

University of Leeds, 27 January 2017

NCAS are running a one-day free-to-attend public engagement training course on Friday 27th January at the University of Leeds.

For more information about the course: https://www.ncas.ac.uk/index.php/en/public-engagement-training.

Please note, the deadline to submit your application is 5pm on Wednesday 18th January 2017.

The course supports a wider project on the public perceptions of air quality called The air we share: Yorkshire. This project is a three city tour (Leeds, Bradford, York) that aims to generate public awareness and discussion of what’s in the air we breathe, what causes air pollution and what it means to us.

Scientists will deliver a series of daytime and evening events to raise awareness of, and encourage public dialogue about air pollution. This project will encourage the people of Yorkshire to think about the steps they can take to clean the air we share.

Please can you circulate this opportunity to anyone you know who would be interested in attending the public engagement training course and/or participating in The air we share: Yorkshire events. Atmospheric scientists, especially Early Career Researchers, who focus on any aspects of air quality are strongly encouraged to attend and get involved. We define ECRs as PhD students or researchers <8 yrs out of a PhD without a permanent position.

For more information about The air we share: Yorkshire project contact [log in to unmask] or 0113 343 4212.

Follow us on Twitter: @NCASAirWeShare #airweshare

Winter School "Diversity of planetary circulation regimes, in our solar system and beyond", March 6-10, 2017, Les Houches (Back to Top)

*Deadline for applications: 15th January 2017*

We would like to advertise a Winter School entitled "Diversity of planetary circulation regimes, in our solar system and beyond", taking place March 6-10, 2017 at the Les Houches Physics center (http://houches.ujf-grenoble.fr/ ) based in Les Houches, France.

We will present the recent observational data and modelling studies pertaining to the variety of planetary atmospheres circulation regimes, including giant and terrestrial planets. We will also discuss the theory of planetary physical processes (e.g. circulation, dynamics, thermodynamics, radiative transfer, cloud microphysics) and review the current status of the modelling of planetary atmospheres in order to calculate observables such as light curves. This interdisciplinary school wishes to contribute to bridging the gap between Earth science, planetary science, and astrophysics.

The Physics school of Les Houches is located in the French Alps (Savoy) and has been hosting worldwide renowned training and scientific events since 1951. Lodging and food are provided on site. Ample time will be reserved for individual and joint social activities. Arrival of participants is possible after 3 pm on Sunday March 5th.

All practical information concerning reaching the location of the school and the available facilities can be found at: https://houches.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/en/

Topics that will be addressed are the following:
- What are the various circulation regimes of Earth, Solar system planets and exoplanets (theory/observation)?
- What have we learned from Earth climate dynamics that can be applied to exoplanets?
- Which properties are relevant for habitability?
- How can we use knowledge of planetary physics to better understand the Earth climate system and its response to forcings?
- How do the very diverse radiation regimes affect the circulation? What are the main feedbacks?
- How to deal with complex processes such as clouds, shocks, lightenings, hydrological cycle, weathering?
- How to construct flexible modeling tools?

Lectures will be delivered by about 20 speakers. The number of additional participants is limited to 50. The deadline to apply is January, 15th 2017, and early applicants will be given priority. The participants will be encouraged to bring over a poster for presenting their research activities. Full or partial financial support will be provided to selected participants. Details for registration are given in the school website: http://leshouchesplanets2017.zmaw.de/

For questions, please contact Nicolas Iro:

The organizing committee:
Daniel Apai (Department of Astronomy, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA)
Francois Forget (LMD, CNRS, Paris, France)
Nicolas Iro, (CEN - Institute of Meteorology, University of Hamburg, Germany)
Valerio Lucarini (CEN, University of Hamburg, Germany/Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Reading, Reading, UK)
Raymond Pierrehumbert (Department of Physics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK)

READ MORE

JGR special issue on atmospheric gravity waves: (Back to Top)

I would like to draw your attention to a JGR joint space weather and atmospheres special issue (organised by the ANtarctic Gravity Wave Instrument Network-ANGWIN) which may be of interest to some in our community: “Atmospheric Gravity Wave Science in the Polar Regions and First Results from ANGWIN”.

This special issue welcomes papers that deal with the theory, modelling and observations of gravity wave activity in the Arctic and Antarctic regions, at any altitude in the Earth’s atmosphere or ionosphere. Submissions are open until 28th February 2017. If you have any questions please contact Tracy Moffat-Griffin (tmof at bas.ac.uk).

Submissions can be made using the link below or searching in the special issue sections on each journals website.
http://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/agu/issue/10.1002/(ISSN)2169-8996.ANGWIN1/

READ MORE

Arctic (Iceland - Greenland Seas region) Climate Modeller at British Antarctic Survey (Back to Top)

We are seeking a climate modeller to work at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) on a NERC-funded UK contribution (led by the University of East Anglia) to a broader international programme of research, the Iceland-Greenland Seas Project (IGP). The overall aim of IGP is to study air-sea interaction in the Iceland and Greenland Seas and the associated ocean circulation (involving contributors from, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway and the USA). This 2-year postdoc position will focus on the atmospheric climate of the region and use a state-of-the-art version of the UK Met Office climate model in combination with new observational data from a comprehensive IGP field campaign.

Further details can be found here:

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancy/climate-modeller-cambridge/

Potential candidates are very welcome to contact Tom Bracegirdle ([log in to unmask]) with any questions about the role

Deadline for applications: 15th January 2017

READ MORE

You are subscribed to CliMathNet Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CLIMATHNET&A=1

www.climathnet.org/