To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CLIMATHNET;be9231bd.1507p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo CliMathNet
Newsletter

13th July 2015
In this Newsletter:

Prof. Chris Budd OBE Announcement
| Statistics for Climate Science; A Course for Principal Investigators | XXXV Dynamics Days Europe 2015 | PhD Studentship - Climate, Harmful Algal Blooms, and Human Health Ref: 1857
| SECURE- Statistics of Environmental Change, Resources and Ecosystems, One day Launch Event | Subscription Details

Prof. Chris Budd OBE Announcement
(Back to Top)

We are delighted to congratulate Professor Chris Budd on his recent award of an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday honours list for services to science and maths education.

For the full announcement from the University of Bath Press Office please visit http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/2015/06/13/queen-birthday-honours/

READ MORE

Statistics for Climate Science; A Course for Principal Investigators (Back to Top)

18th September 2015. Council Chamber, Royal Statistical Society, London

CliMathNet, the Royal Meteorological Society and the Royal Statistical Society are jointly running a small focused workshop on the use of statistical techniques for senior climate scientists.

This course is aimed at climate scientists at the Principal Investigator level and will include lectures/workshops on statistical modelling, inference, Bayesian methods and risk and uncertainty and will include time for discussion of particular problems raised by the participants regarding climate variability and change on global, regional and local scales.

CliMathNet have provided funding for the course, and the Royal Statistical Society are kindly providing a venue, therefore, this course is free to attend, although we do ask that delegates register in advance to attend. The meeting will start at 10am at the Royal Statistical Society in London, and lunch will be provided.

Maximum number of delegates: 25
To register for this event please visit the following link: http://store.exeter.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=2&catid=81&prodid=1144

READ MORE

XXXV Dynamics Days Europe 2015 (Back to Top)

6th - 10th September 2015. University of Exeter, UK

The 35th edition of Dynamics Days Europe, a major international conference with a long-standing tradition in nonlinear dynamics is to be held early September. The conference will be hosted by the Centre for Systems, Dynamics and Control at the University of Exeter and will take place at Streatham Campus, Exeter, UK.

During this event two CliMathNet funded Mini-symposiums will be held.

i) Nonlinear and stochastic dynamics in weather and climate science. Dr F. Kwasniok.
ii) Response, variability and transitions in geophysical systems. Dr. V. Lucarini & Dr. A. von der Heydt.

For details on the full minisymposia schedule visit: http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/mathematics/research/dynamicsdays2015/minisymposia/

Registration for this event is still open and can be accessed via the following link: http://store.exeter.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=2&deptid=22&catid=11&prodid=989

READ MORE

PhD Studentship - Climate, Harmful Algal Blooms, and Human Health Ref: 1857
(Back to Top)

Application deadline: 27th July 2015

The University of Exeter Medical School European Centre for Environment and Human Health (www.ecehh.org) in Truro (Cornwall, UK) and the Met Office (www.metoffice.gov.uk) in Exeter (UK) wish to recruit a doctoral student to work on CASE PhD project funded by NERC and the Met Office with collaborating Supervisors at Public Health England (PHE), the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (CEFAS), and the Scottish Association of Marine Sciences (SAMS). The student will be based both at ECEHH and at the Met Office, as well as interacting with PHE, CEFAS and SAMS.

This doctoral studentship would suit a student interested in oceanographic and statistical/numerical modelling, epidemiology, and public health. Good general computing skills (Fortran, Unix, MatLab or similar), with proven experience in handling and analysing large datasets are essential.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/studying/funding/award/?id=1857
http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=63192

READ MORE

SECURE- Statistics of Environmental Change, Resources and Ecosystems, One day Launch Event (Back to Top)

11th September 2015, 10am – 5pm. University of Glasgow.

What is SECURE?

SECURE is an EPSRC funded network whose mission is to grow a strong statistical and environmental science community with a shared understanding and knowledge of environmental change challenges to inform decision making. Through increased working together, the SECURE network will bring together the environmental and statistical communities to provide fresh intelligence and new insights into environmental change and society’s management of that change. In this way the network will address some of the LWEC challenge areas (including ecosystems, resources (including water), health, infrastructure, climate change) underpinned by environmental and earth observation.

This one day event will include a keynote speaker, invited speakers, a series of workshops, short presentations and project pitches since SECURE has funds to support some feasibility projects and workshops.

More details about SECURE and the event can be found on the SECURE website: http://www.gla.ac.uk/research/az/SECURE

Registration is via eventbrite: http://eventbrite.co.uk/event/16858293610

READ MORE

You are subscribed to CliMathNet. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CLIMATHNET&A=1

University of Exeter

http://www.climathnet.org/