To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CLIMATHNET;ae239969.1508p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo CliMathNet
Newsletter

10th August 2015
In this Newsletter:

Upcoming CliMathNet Funded Events | Conference on the Mathematics of Sea Ice | AGU Fall Meeting: Space-time statistics and data mining for natural hazards and weather extremes | Publication of the LWEC Infrastructure Climate Change Impacts Report Card | ReCoVER Funding Call | Subscription Details

Upcoming CliMathNet Funded Events (Back to Top)

Climate Session at the Royal Statistical Society Conference: University of Exeter. Devon. UK.

10:05am – 11:25am. Wednesday 9th September. The Role of Statistics in the Analysis of Climate Models.

Further information can be found at: http://www.rss.org.uk/RSS/Events/RSS_Conference/2015_Conference/RSS/Events/Conference/2015_conference.aspx?hkey=2a432b6b-6baf-4bc3-baa4-063221c13ab8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXXV Dynamics Days Europe 2015: Two minisymposia, University of Exeter. Devon. UK.

10:00am – 12:00pm. Wednesday 9th September. Response, variability and transitions in geophysical systems. Prof. V. Lucarini & Dr A. von der Heydt.

16:30am – 18:30pm. Wednesday 9th September. Nonlinear and stochastic dynamics in weather and climate science. Dr Frank Kwasniok.

Further information can be found at http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/mathematics/research/dynamicsdays2015/schedule/#s01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics for Climate Science: A course for Principal Investigators:
18th September 2015. Council Chamber, Royal Statistical Society, London, UK.

This one day course is free to attend for 25 delegates. Still some spaces available. For more information and to register for this event please visit the following link: http://store.exeter.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=2&catid=81&prodid=1144

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more detailed information on all upcoming CliMathNet events please visit our website. http://www.climathnet.org/forresearchers/meetingsandevents/

READ MORE

Conference on the Mathematics of Sea Ice (Back to Top)

September 24th to 26th, 2015, Vancouver, British Columbia.

We are delighted to announce the "Mathematics of Sea Ice" conference, to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, September 24th to 26th, 2015.

This meeting is part of a conference series run and partially supported by the Pacific Institute for Mathematical Sciences (PIMS) at the University of British Columbia. More details are at: https://www.pims.math.ca/scientific-event/150924-cmsi

The organizers would like to invite interested contributors to submit an abstract (maximum 200 words, in English language) of a poster or oral presentation they propose. The organizing committee will be responsible for the selection of presentations from the submitted abstracts.

Abstracts and requests for travel funding will be accepted through the online form available here.

Deadline for applications is August 21, 2015.

Intended to stimulate interdisciplinary discussion and inquiry, this conference will bring together scientists and mathematicians working on theoretical aspects of sea ice research. Given the audience expected for this meeting, we hope that these discussions will be lively and productive.

Vancouver is a vibrant international city, and the conference will be held in the spectacular harbor area. We look forward to a fruitful meeting and sincerely hope that you will be able to atttend.

READ MORE

AGU Fall Meeting: Space-time statistics and data mining for natural hazards and weather extremes (Back to Top)

14th -18th December 2015, San Francisco.

Call for abstracts: for a session focused on the advances required in climate "out of the box" data science to produce tailored outputs and tools to address stakeholder needs at relevant scales. Particular mention made of advances in uncertainty quantification, predictive modelling and physics guided data mining for space-time hazards and extremes.
Abstract submission deadline 5th August

Primary Convener:
Evan Kodra, Northeastern University, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Boston, MA, United States

Conveners:
Auroop R Ganguly, Northeastern University, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Boston, MA, United States and Susan Tolwinski-Ward, AIR Worldwide, Boston, MA, United States

Further information available at: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session9171.html

READ MORE

Publication of the LWEC Infrastructure Climate Change Impacts Report Card (Back to Top)

We are pleased to announce the publication of the LWEC Infrastructure Climate Change Impacts Report Card the third in a series of such cards published by Living With Environmental Change Network.

This is the third Report Card in the series and is aimed at anyone who works with, or has an interest in, infrastructure in the UK. Infrastructure provides services important for our safety, our health and our economic development. Climate change may affect it in a number of ways. Focusing on the possible physical impacts of climate change, this card sets out to aid understanding of the nature and scale of those impacts on UK infrastructure and so inform decisions about infrastructure’s management and further development. The card provides a high-level summary of the main findings from 12 detailed technical reports prepared by leading experts in their fields using the best available science from academic literature.

The card has been designed primarily to be downloaded as a click-through PDF and is now available on the LWEC website at http://www.lwec.org.uk/resources/report-cards/infrastructure. You can also access the technical papers which underpin the card and other relevant information from the website or the click-through document.

However, please be aware that the card has been published just at the point when we are developing a new website for LWEC. We didn’t want to delay publication of this important resource, but it does means the URL for the card will be correct only until the launch of the new site later in the summer. We are looking into the possibility of setting up redirects to the new LWEC website in the short term, and will publicise the updated URL when the new site goes live.

If you have any queries or would like further information about the Report Card series, please contact [log in to unmask]

READ MORE

ReCoVER Funding Call (Back to Top)

Deadline for applications is 17th September 2015

A second call for ReCoVER funding is currently open, and we are inviting applications for pilot studies, research projects with partner organisations and projects specifically for early career researchers, in addition to applications for small projects and meetings. The aim of ReCoVER is to encourage development and use of novel mathematical tools and applications for understanding, predicting and managing the effects of environmental change, in particular where it relates to climate variability and impacts on societal resilience.

The deadline is 18:00 on 17th September 2015 for completed applications to be considered in this round.

We also consider proposals for smaller projects (up to £2k) on a rolling basis. Further information about this funding is available at the website https://sites.google.com/site/recoverlwec/funding

READ MORE

You are subscribed to CliMathNet. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CLIMATHNET&A=1

University of Exeter

http://www.climathnet.org/