CHEST Data Messenger No 114

Heather Franklin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:45:40 +0000

CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * C

H                     The CHEST DATA MESSENGER No 114                   H

E              - bringing you news, updates & other snippets            E

S            w/e 12 February 1999   URL: http://www.chest.ac.uk/       	S

T DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST DATA NEWS * CHEST

This issue is being sent to:

   * CHEST HE and FE Site Contacts
   * CHEST (Ireland) Site Contacts
   * CHEST Associated Site Contacts
   * chest-news: register yourself on chest-news to ensure you
keep up to
     date with all that's going on.
   * lis-link
   * lis-sitereps

   Contents:  1. Compendex
              2. INSPEC - Service Provider changes
              3. PsycINFO
              4. Context - electronic Law Reports
              5. RAPRA Abstracts Agreement
              6. EBSCO MasterFILE
              7. Ordnance Survey 1998 Data
              8. Bartholomew Digital Map Data

1. Compendex
------------
Full details of the new Compendex Agreement, including the licence and
all pricing information, will be available on the CHEST Web pages at
http://www.chest.ac.uk/datasets/compendex2/contents.html by the end of
this week.

2. INSPEC - Service Provider changes
------------------------------------
Licensed intstitutions are reminded that they are entitled to choose
another service provider with effect from 1st September 1999 provided
that they have given the necessary three months notice (1st June 1999)
to their exisiting service provider, proposed service provider and
CHEST.  It is anticipated that there will be more service providers to
choose from for the coming year and details will be available on our
web site as and when they become available.  Please see
http://www.chest.ac.uk/datasets/inspec/responses.html for changes in
the future.

3. PsycINFO
-----------
CHEST is meeting APA in three weeks time to discuss a possible
agreement for the provision of PyscINFO.

In order to have meaningful negotiation CHEST needs to know how much
interest there is in this product. Please would you therefore complete
the following questionnaire and send to [log in to unmask] with
the subject line PsycINFO.

Do you currently take PsycINFO?

If yes in what form - CD-ROM/Web Service Provider etc?

What are the Licence conditions (limited to Library, one deaprtment,
physical campus, all sites licence etc?)

Are you allowed concurrent users - if so how many?

>From which publisher or service provider (Silverplatter, Ovid,
OCLC)?

How much do you pay? (In confidence)

Do you currently take PsycLit?

If yes in what form?

>From which publisher or service provider?

How much do you pay? (again in confidence)

Your co-operation is much appreciated.

4. Context - electronic Law Reports
or all of the following:

Statutes and Satutory Instruments
Weekly Law Reports
Industrial Cases
European Law
Parliamentary Database

Please help CHEST to help you obtain the most affordable price for
these additional databases; your expression of interest will help
us in negotiations.

Note: If any licensed Institution is still experiencing problems with
eLR, particularly networking, they are advised to contact the Context
helpdesk at [log in to unmask] and please copy to CHEST
<[log in to unmask]> so that CHEST is aware.  It would also
be helpful were you to mail your problem to
[log in to unmask] so that others may see your problem and,
if they have experienced the same, possibly help by providing a
solution.  CHEST does need to know of the problems in this area.

CHEST is also discussing the possibility and practicalities of
providing eLR via a central server with ATHENS authentication. If this
is possible there would be a small surcharge to cover the cost of this
provision but, of course, only to those who made use of this facility.

5. RAPRA Abstracts Agreement
----------------------------
CHEST has been advised that a direct link for CHEST Subscribers has
been added to the RAPRA Abstracts page <http://www.abstracts.rapra.net>
so a user from a site which has subscribed will be linked to the
database automatically.

The RAPRA Abstracts Database comprises a large collection of carefully
produced, extensively indexed summaries of published literature
covering a wide scope of subjects encompassing technical, academic,
commercial and marketing aspects of the rubber and plastics
industries.

Source materials include over 500 journals, together with conference
papers, patents, specifications and standards, books, reports, press
releases, company literature, data sheets and directories.

Full details about the Agreement are available at
http://www.chest.ac.uk/datasets/rapra/contents.html

6. EBSCO MasterFILE
until the end of the current agreement year (30th September 1999).  At
the end of this period they will be given the opportunity to continue
with MasterFILE or to change to one of the above databases at a cost in
the order of, for Business source Elite or Academic Search Elite, 7K or
9K (+VAT) respectively.

Your expression of interest, positive OR negative, should be
communicated to CHEST <[log in to unmask]> who will forward
the positive responses to EBSCO.

7. Ordnance Survey 1998 Data
----------------------------
Manchester Computing is now in a position to distribute the 1998
Ordnance Survey sample data. This is distributed in NTF/Landline and
DXF format on a single CD.  In addition to the media, a set of printed
manuals may be ordered, if required, for which there will be an
additional charge of 60.10 including postage and packing.  Please note,
however, that the User Guides are included as pdf files on the CD.

If you wish to receive this upgrade, please download a revised software
order form from http://www.chest.ac.uk/datasets/os/order.html and
complete and return it to CHEST with a Purchase Order (addressed to
Manchester Computing) to cover the total cost of media, and
documentation if applicable.

An updated order form for additional copies of the new User Guides for
the various data products can be downloaded from:
http://gromit.mcc.ac.uk/chestdocs/os.html.  These order forms should be
returned direct to Manchester with a Purchase Order to cover the cost
of the manuals.

8. Bartholomew Digital Map Data
-------------------------------
Digital map databases, with central London free of charge.

The following new data is now available under the CHEST/Barts Site
Licence agreement:

 Description                 Size              Media
 GB ArcInfo Coverage         154 mb             CD
 GB ArcInfo Coverage         217 mb            Exabyte
 Europe ArcInfo Coverage     306 mb             CD*
 Europe ArcInfo Coverage     700 mb            Exabyte
 Europe Arcview (use ArcInfo Coverage)          CD*
 World Export/Ungen/Coverage/MapInfo           one CD*

(* These CDs are suitable for use with ArcView 3.0 for the
PowerMac and MapInfo 4.0 for the PowerMac.)

To receive the new data, licensed sites should complete a CHEST/Barts
Order Form from:  http://www.chest.ac.uk/datasets/barts/bartsorder.html
and return it to CHEST with a Purchase Order (addressed to Manchester
Computing) to cover the cost of media ordered.

First line technical support is now provided by:
Duncan Pickering and Dave Benson tel: 01242 233887.

Bartholomew's address is:
Bartholomew Data Sales, Units 4 and 5, Manchester Park, Tewkesbury
Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 9EJ
Tel: 01242 233887
Fax: 01242 222725

		  END OF CHEST DATA MESSENGER No 114
          w/e 12 February 1999   URL: http://www.chest.ac.uk/