Help for CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH Archives

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH Archives

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH Archives

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH Home

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH Home

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH  June 2018

CHAPLAINCY-SPIRITUALITY-HEALTH June 2018

Re: Pateint Records

"Cline-Dean Allison (RDE) Colchester Hospital Uni NHS Foundati Tr" <[log in to unmask]>

A network for chaplains, educationalists and researchers

Tue, 5 Jun 2018 07:18:26 +0000

Greetings.

As I worked in Canada and then came to the UK, I have experienced both sides of the coin when it comes to access of patient records.  In Canada, the chaplain is considered part of the professional multi-disciplinary team and therefore has access to the patient notes.  It is expected that I will have read the multi-disciplinary notes so that I have some background when I go into see the patient.  On urgent pages, I was briefed by the nursing staff.  At the end of the visit or page, I was expected to write in the patient notes so it could be used to inform the multi-disciplinary team for future interventions or concerns but not include anything that would be considered confidential between the chaplain and the patient.

Moving to the UK and not having any access to patient notes has been a real eye-opener.  The first hospital where I worked provided access to PAS so we could check each morning to see if referrals were still in hospital, had died or had been transferred wards.  Staff may or may not be available to brief the chaplain when they respond to a page so that we may not have the full story when we walk into the room.  However, there was no access to patient notes so having to ask questions that the patient has already answered which was not a good use of limited time.  Then having to ask staff to write in the notes that a chaplain has visited but not add anything in the way of being helpful to the rest of the team, does not add to the holistic care of the patient.

Coming to Colchester there is no access to any records be they PAS, electronic, or patient notes.  Again I have to ask nursing staff, if they are available, to note that a chaplain  has visited and in the case of dying patients, what rites and rituals have been conducted.  Each Friday afternoon as I prepare Sunday Ministry lists I walk the whole hospital to find out about our referrals - died, transferred, discharged.  It takes about two hours to walk the hospital and check in each ward.  It makes me a familiar face and generates even more referrals, yet the hospital still does not recognise that professional chaplains have much to contribute to the holistic care of patients.  The model of care very much emphasises the bio-medical model of care rather than Sulmasy's bio-psycho-social-spiritual model of care wherein meeting the spiritual needs of the patient inform the continuum of care thus in many cases reducing the amount of time spent in hospital.  While we may be registered members of a professional body and it is a game-changer, it is going to take time to change minds (parliamentary committees and hospital governance) about access to records.

It is a no-brainer:  in order to provide professional, holistic patient-centred care, chaplains should have and should expect to have access to patient records and to write in them appropriately as part of the multi-disciplinary team.

Allison

Allison Cline-Dean,
Lead Chaplain,
Colchester Hospital University Foundation NHS Trust
Colchester, Essex
Telephone:  01206 742513

@Colchester Hospital, chaplaincy sheds light in a different way