To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;faeba5d9.1407p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo April, May & June 2014
Cetis Newsletter

#Cetis14 keynotes on YouTube

Keynote presentations by Phil Richards and Audrey Watters are now available on the CetisUK YouTube channel

Cetis to Run New Subject Coding Project

This month Cetis starts working with HEDIIP (Higher Education Data & Information Improvement Programme) to develop a replacement for the Joint Academic Coding System (JACS). Read the full announcement here.

Briefing paper: What is schema.org?

Last month Cetis published the first briefing paper of the LRMI (Learning Resource Metadata Initiative) titled "What is schema.org?". The paper is available from the Cetis Publications site.

IWMW 2.014 Rebooting the Web

This year’s IWMW will be held at Northumbria University on 16-18th July. This event is being provided by Brian, Cetis and Netskills and is the 18th IWMW conference. Registration closes this week, you can book via the conference site.

Special #Cetis14 Conference issue

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

Over 90 delegates attended the Cetis Conference: Building the Digital Institution held at the University of Bolton on the 17th and 18th June. On her blog Audrey Watters said #cetis14 was "One of the best ed-tech events I've attended in a very long time". This longer issue of the newsletter features reports on many of the sessions.

READ MORE

#cetis14 - The City and The City: Reflections on the Cetis 2014 Conference

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

30th June 2014

The City and the City is a novel by China Miéville. As described in Wikipedia the novel “takes place in the cities of Besźel and Ul Qoma. These two cities actually occupy much of the same geographical space, but via the volition of their citizens (and the threat of the secret power known as Breach), they are perceived as two different cities.

I read the novel earlier this year. When I saw it in a bookshop over the weekend I thought of the parallels with the Cetis 2014 conference: two plenary talks which occupied the same space but which described the ‘unseeing’ of a shared history.

READ MORE

#cetis14 - Reflection on the “Open Education – a New World Order” session

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

At the Cetis conference 2014, Stephen and I facilitated a session on “Open Education and MOOCs”. We began with two very interesting presentations from Audrey Watters, a freelance journalist, and Amy Woodgate from The University of Edinburgh.

READ MORE

#Cetis14 Open Education: From Open Practice to Open Policy

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

26th June

Last week Li and I ran a session at the Cetis Conference on Open Education: From Open Practice to Open Policy. My initial plan had been to focus on questions such as: What, if any, is the value of open education policy? Do institutions need open education policies?

READ MORE

#cetis14 - Do Higher Education Institutions Need a Learning Analytics Strategy?

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

26th June

Posted on the LACE project site:

The LACE Workshop, “Developing a Learning Analytics Strategy for a Higher Education Institution” took place on June 17th 2014, with over 35 participants exploring the issues and considering the question of what such a strategy would look like.

READ MORE

Who is using LRMI metadata?

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

25th June

One question that we always get asked about LRMI is “who is using it?” There are two sides to this, use by search service providers and use by resource providers, this post touches on the latter.

READ MORE

#cetis14 - When does a book become a web platform?

(Back to Top)

Wilbert Kraan

Image

24th June

During last week’s CETIS conference I ran a session that assessed how ebooks can function as an educational medium beyond the paper textbook.

After reminding ourselves that etextbooks are not yet as widespread as ebook novels, and that paper books generally are still more widely read, we examined what ebook features make a good educational experience.

READ MORE

#cetis14 day1 storify

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

23rd June

he Cetis Conference is over for another year. Being the conference organiser means I don’t get to focus on one session for long. I’ve captured my favourite tweets in a storify, I hope they give an impression of the event.

READ MORE

#cetis14 - LRMI at the Cetis conference 2014

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

20th June

On 17th-18th June, in Bolton, Cetis had their more-or-less annual conference. One of the sessions was Lorna and me, with some help from our friends, discussing LRMI addressing the question “What on Earth Could Justify Another Attempt at Educational Metadata?”

READ MORE

#cetis14 - What is Open Knowledge culture?

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

20th June

At the recent Cetis conference – #cetis14 on twitter – Brian Kelly and I ran a session called “Open Knowledge: Wikipedia and Beyond”. The outcomes were much more interesting than might have been guessed – worthy of a post!

READ MORE

Open Education, Open Scotland – report & presentations

(Back to Top)

Lorna Campbell

Image

10th June

Last week the ALT Scotland Special Interest Group hosted the second Open Scotland event, Open Education, Open Scotland at the Informatics Forum at the University of Edinburgh. This free and open event was attended by sixty colleagues, and speakers represented every sector of Scottish education including schools, further education, higher education and government.

READ MORE

Announcing “What is schema.org?”, a new technical briefing paper from Cetis

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

5th June

As part of my work with Cetis for Creative Commons on managing the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI), Cetis today publish a new technical briefing paper “What is schema.org?”. LRMI is built on and expands schema.org so that it can be used to describe educationally significant characteristics of resources. I often find when explaining LRMI at a technical level, mostly I am explaining schema.org, hence this briefing as the first of a series coauthored by me and Lorna M Campbell, planned to explain LRMI.

READ MORE

What is Learning Analytics?

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

12th May

Our research department is currently housing a student from a different instition who is interested in mobile learning. She has just finished her doctorate in a Spanish university and is about to head home to China. During a welcome meeting our guest proclaimed an interested in mobile learning and Learning Qnalytics. One of our departments professors then singled me out, “David knows all about Learning Analytics”.

READ MORE

#cetis14 - Audrey Watters – 60 second interview ahead of the Cetis conference

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

12th May

For this year’s Cetis conference Building the Digital Institution we are delighted to welcome Audrey Watters, technology and education journalist to give our closing keynote. Audrey has written extensively about open education, technology myths, disruptive innovation and MOOCs on her own blog Hack Education but also for Inside Higher Ed, The School Library Journal, O’Reilly Radar, ReadWriteWeb, and The Huffington Post. As a taster of Audrey’s talk here is a short interview about how she became a technology journalist, her thoughts on open education, and thinking more broadly about innovation.

READ MORE

Building a Google custom search engine for LRMI-tagged pages

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

10th April

Wilbert and I are spending the day trying to create a search engine for finding learning resources by searching LRMI-tagged web pages. A bit of code sprint if you like.

READ MORE

What is CEN TC 353 becoming?

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

9th April

The CEN TC 353 was set up (about seven years ago) as the European Standardization Technical Committee (“TC”) responsible for “ICT for Learning Education and Training” (LET). At the end of the meeting I will be describing below, we recognised that the title has led some people to think it is a committee for standardising e-learning technology, which is far from the truth

READ MORE

More Data Doesn’t Always Lead to Better Choices

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

4th April

An article appeared in the Times Higher Education online magazine recently (April 3, 2014) under the heading “More data can lead to poor student choices, Hefce [Higher Education Funding Council for England] learns”. The article was not about learning analytics, but about the data provided to prospective students with the aim of supporting their choice of Higher Education provider (HEp).

READ MORE

More posts are available on the Cetis blogs site

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.