To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;ccf153fa.1307p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo June 2013
JISC CETIS Newsletter

Open Scotland meeting presentations and recordings

Recordings and presentations from last week's Open Scotland meeting, including Cable Green from Creative Commons on the Business Case for OER are now available on our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/CetisUK. Links to presentations are at: http://wiki.cetis.ac.uk/?title=Open_Scotland

The benefits of Open

A briefing paper by Lorna M.Campbell to accompany the Open Scotland meeting is now available on the Cetis publications site.

Open Scotland, the twitter story

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

28th June

Yesterday Cetis, in collaboration with SQA, ALT-Scotland and the Jisc RSC Scotland hosted the Open Scotland Summit. The event, brought together senior managers, policy makers and key thinkers, will provide an opportunity for critical reflection on the national and global impact of open education (see Lorna's blog post for more information and background to the event) .

READ MORE

The Benefits of Open

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

25th June

The following paper was produced to act as a background briefing to the Open Scotland Summit , which Cetis is facilitating in collaboration with SQA, Jisc RSC Scotland and the ALT Scotland SIG.

READ MORE

MOOCs and Higher Education: What is next?

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

25th June

I gave a presentation on “MOOCs and Higher Education” at the SCONUL annual conference in Dublin last week. In the presentation, I examined the potential of MOOCs as a disruptive innovation and an emerging technology in higher education, and explored the concept, business model and trends of the MOOC phenomenon.

READ MORE

[Presentation] ALT Scotland SIG: ALT’s ocTEL MOOC Experience

(Back to Top)

Martin Hawksey

Image

20th June

Another day, another presentation. Today I’m at ALT Scotland’s SIG highlighting some of the experiences of developing/delivering the ocTEL open course. Slides are embedded below. This is a shorter version of a webinar I gave for ocTEL.

READ MORE

Inuagural Open Badges (Scotland) Working Group Meeting

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

20th June

Bill Clinton isn't the only one creating a buzz about the open badges movement at the moment. Perhaps with slightly less coverage than the Clinton initiative, yesterday saw the first (Scottish) open badges working group meeting.

READ MORE

[Presentation] Dabbling with Data Visualisation

(Back to Top)

Martin Hawksey

Image

19th June

Later today I’ve been invited by the University of Edinburgh Data Library team to talk about data visualisation. The abstract I submitted and slides are below. Putting a slidedeck like this together is always useful as you mentally sort through your mind the pieces of knowledge you’ve obtained, which in my case is only from the last year or so.

READ MORE

ePub metadata what gets shown?

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

18th June

One of the issues around eTextBooks is how to describe them, specifically by way of educational metadata in ePub. That’s something that on the face of it shouldn’t be too difficult to address (at least to the extent that we know how to describe any educational resource). One thing that would be useful in demonstrating different choices for educational metadata is an app or tool that will display any metadata found in the ePub package in a sensible way.

READ MORE

Meanwhile back in the real world . . .

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

14th June

We're all very guilty of getting caught up in our "own wee worlds" and sometimes it we all need to just "step away from the computer". I recently did just that. I had a week's annual leave, and came back to the usual overflowing in-box.

READ MORE

Three levels of design and innovation

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

6th June

An electronics company has just won a patent claim against another electronics company. It’s not relevant to this post which companies and what patent were involved, it just served to remind me once again of the different types of innovation that are subject to these patent claims–where there is a patent there is at least a claim of innovation, and that is what interests me.

READ MORE

What do FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions say about open content?

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

5th June

The appearance of FutureLearn’s new website caused considerable discussion on twitter this morning. Once everyone had got over the shock of the website’s eye-watering colour scheme, attention turned to FurtureLearn’s depressingly draconian Terms and Conditions, which were disected in forensic detail by several commentators who know more than a thing or two about licensing and open educational content.

READ MORE

More posts are available on the Jisc Cetis website.

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to JISC CETIS Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.