To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;92e62719.1310p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo August & September 2013
Cetis Newsletter

Engaging Developers in Standards Development

A new briefing by Lorna Campbell and Adam Cooper discusses how to run a Cetis Codebash and why they are important for achieving practical interoperability. The briefing is available from our Publications site http://publications.cetis.ac.uk/2013/871

So long and thanks for all the fish

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

25th September 2013

After eight years very happy years my time with Cetis has drawn to a close. I am moving on to pastures new as a Senior Lecturer in Blended Learning at Glasgow Caledonian University starting early next month.

READ MORE

Small is beautiful: an antidote to big data #altc2013

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

19th September

Over the past year Cetis has been spending quite a bit of time exploring the context and potential of analytics within the education sector. The Cetis analytics series is our on-going contribution to the debate. As part of our investigations we undertook a survey of UK institutions to try and get a baseline of where institutions are “at” in terms of analytics.

READ MORE

The Maturing of the MOOC – new BIS paper quotes Cetis Report

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

18th September

The long awaited Department for Business Innovation & Skills research paper on “The Maturing of the MOOC” was published today and quotes the Cetis paper “MOOCs and Open Education: Implications for Higher Education” by Li Yuan and Stephen Powell.

READ MORE

Report on a Survey of Analytics in Higher and Further Education (UK)

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

16th September

We have just published the results of an informal survey undertaken by Cetis to:

Assess the current state of analytics in UK FE/HE.
Identify the challenges and barriers to using analytics.

READ MORE

Sheila MacNeill is awarded ALT Learning Technologist of the Year 2013

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

12th September

Congratulations to Sheila MacNeill who has become the ALT Learning Technologist of the Year 2013. Sheila, Assistant Director at Cetis, was nominated for her outstanding achievement in promoting learning technologies to the wider UK education sector.

READ MORE

Open Education

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

5th September

This is a longish summary of a presentation I gave recently, covering why I was talking, the spectrum of openness, the ways of being open, the range of activities involved in education and how open things might apply to those activities.

READ MORE

What does the Oculus Rift mean for education?

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

3rd September

I’m pretty excited about the Oculus Rift. Incase you’ve missed it, the Oculus Rift is a Virtual Reality headset that was initially a kickstarter project that while successful on kickstarter has since found even more big money backers.

READ MORE

New Cetis, New website

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

2nd September

You might have noticed that Cetis has a new web site www.cetis.ac.uk. For the last six months I’ve been working with my colleagues, Mark Power, David Sherlock, Phil Parker, Sheila MacNeill and Martin Hawksey to update our web presence to reflect the new organisation.

READ MORE

Staff changes at Cetis

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

2nd September

"New” Cetis launched last month and it is with regret that we announce that two of our Learning Technology Advisors Mark Power and Lisa Corley have left us.

READ MORE

Embed innovation or implant potential?

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

12th August

This thought on etextbooks is an overflow from a conversation I was having on skype with Li and Tore about a workshop aimed at scoping what we would like the etextbooks of the future to look like.

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://www.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.