To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;8491ab8.1409p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo July & August 2014
Cetis Newsletter

Open Consultation on New Subject Coding Scheme

Cetis is developing a new subject coding scheme with HEDIIP, the Higher Education Data and Information Improvement Programme. An open consultation on the uses, impact and adoption, governance and design. Is open until the end of this week. If you hurry you still have time to have your say.

LRMI Implementation Case Studies

Throughout August Lorna Campbell has been posting case studies on projects that have implemented the LRMI metadata specification. Read Lorna's blog to see how the standard is helping make open resources more discoverable.

MOOCs and technology-enhanced learning in HE: next steps and challenges

Li Yuan will be speaking at the Westminster Forum conference on the 21st October in London. The event features speakers from the worlds of higher education, publishing and IT, and places are still available.

LRMI Implementation Case Study: P2PU

(Back to Top)

Lorna Campbell

Image

29th August 2014

Team leader: Dirk Uys “P2PU is a grassroots open education project that organizes learning outside of institutional walls and gives learners recognition for their achievements. P2PU creates a model for lifelong learning alongside traditional formal higher education.

READ MORE

HtmlCleaner 2.9

(Back to Top)

Scott Wilson

25th August

I’ve finally released version 2.9 of HtmlCleaner! This month I also had to answer my first ever official support request for HtmlCleaner in my “day job”

READ MORE

Licence information in schema.org and LRMI

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

14th August

When the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI) technical working group started its work it focused on identifying the properties and relationships that were important for educational resources but could not be adequately expressed using schema.org as it then stood.

READ MORE

LRMI Implementation Projects Case Studies

(Back to Top)

Lorna Campbell

Image

6th August

As part of our work for Creative Commons on the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI), my colleague Phil Barker and I have been writing short case studies on a number of LRMI implementation projects that were funded between 2013 – 2014. Ten different OER platforms received small grants from the Gates and Hewlett Foundations.

READ MORE

You are free to adapt the What is Schema.org briefing

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

5th August

Editable files for the What is Schema.org briefing are now available from the Cetis Publications site. The process of enabling editable copies of this publication has leads me to some reflections on the publishing workflow behind it.

READ MORE

The death of Free2Play is a good thing beyond the games industry

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

1st August

Way back in February the EU commission raised concerns over business models in the mobile phone ‘app industry’. There were 4 major points of concern, these are taken directly from the EC press release :

• Games advertised as “free” should not mislead consumers about the true costs involved;
• Games should not contain direct exhortations to children to buy items in a game or to persuade an adult to buy items for them;
• Consumers should be adequately informed about the payment arrangements and purchases should not be debited through default settings without consumers’ explicit consent;
• Traders should provide an email address so that consumers can contact them in case of queries or complaints.

READ MORE

Reusing Open Resources: Learning in Open Networks for Work, Life and Education

(Back to Top)

Lorna Campbell

Image

30th July

Back in 2003 I contributed a chapter to Allison LIttlejohn’s book Reusing Online Resources: A Sustainable Approach to E-learning and I’m delighted to say that, together with co-authors Sheila MacNeill and Martin Hawksey, I have another paper in the subsequent book in this series Reusing Open Resources: Learning in Open Networks for Work, Life and Education edited by Allison Littlejohn.

READ MORE

UK Government Crosses the Rubicon with Open Document Formats

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

28th July

Last week (July 22nd 2014), the UK Government announced the open document formats to be used by government: PDF/A, HTML, and ODF. This is the second tranche of open standards that have been adopted following open consultation, detailed work by technical panels, and recommendation by the Open Standards Board.

READ MORE

Reflections on #IWMW14

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

23rd July

IWMW 2.014: Rebooting the Web IWMW 2014, the 18th annual Institutional Web Management Workshop, took place last week, from 16-20 July, at Northumbria University. The theme of this year’s event was “rebooting the web“: an idea which came from a participant at last year’s event.

READ MORE

E-portfolios and badges for the common good

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

14th July

I learned several things at the e-portfolio and identity conference (ePIC) 2014 that I attended 9th and 10th July.
1. People agree it’s political

The response to my presentation (What will we need to learn and have evidence for? on Slideshare) reassured me that many of the excellent people at the conference shared something like my sense that the world of learning, education, e-portfolios and open badges is more political now than it has ever been in the past history of this conference.

READ MORE

More posts are available on the cetis blogs site.

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog posts.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.