To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;59776602.1402p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo December 2013 & January 2014
Cetis Newsletter

#Cetis14: Save the Date

Our tenth annual conference Building the Digital Institution: Technological Innovation in Universities and Colleges will be held at the University of Bolton on the 17th and 18th June 2014. Registration will open in March.

New Publication: Beyond MOOCs: Sustainable Online Learning in Institutions

A new white paper Beyond MOOCs: Sustainable Online Learning in Institutions by Yuan, Powell and Olivier is available from Cetis publications. The paper explores how the concepts developed in MOOCs can improve the quality of face to face and online provision in institutions.

Jisc commissions Cetis to undertake new work on educational technology standards

Today we can announce that Jisc has commissioned Cetis to undertake a new package of work that combines activities to secure value from Jisc's previous investment with other activities intended to identify opportunities for Jisc in the future.

Top posts:

Scottish Government Support for Open Education?

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

29th January 2014

“We broadly support open licences and OER and need a serious public debate on this issue.”

~Michael Russell, MSP

This was the Minister for Education’s response to a question I put to him earlier today regarding Scottish Government support for open education policy and open licences for publicly funded educational resources in order to benefit learners, not just within Scotland, but internationally.

READ MORE

Learning about learning about …

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

27th January

I was recently reading a short piece from Peter Honey (of learning styles fame)
in a CIPD blog post in which he writes, saving the most important item for last in his list:

Learning to learn – the ultimate life-skill

You can turn learning in on itself and use your learning skills to help you learn how to become an increasingly effective learner. Learning to learn is the key to enhancing all the above.

It’s all excellent stuff, and very central to the consideration of learning technology, particularly that dedicated to supporting reflection.

READ MORE

What Could ITS 2.0 Offer the Web Manager?

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

ITS 2.0 videoBack in October 2013 the W3C announced that the Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) version 2.0 had become a W3C recommendation. The announcement stated:

The MultilingualWeb-LT Working Group has published a W3C Recommendation of Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) Version 2.0. ITS 2.0 provides a foundation for integrating automated processing of human language into core Web technologies. ITS 2.0 bears many commonalities with its predecessor, ITS 1.0, but provides additional concepts that are designed to foster the automated creation and processing of multilingual Web content. Work on application scenarios for ITS 2.0 and gathering of usage and implementation experience will now take place in the ITS Interest Group. Learn more about theInternationalization Activity.

READ MORE

Cetis White Paper on ‘Beyond MOOCs: Sustainable Online Learning in Institutions’

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

21st January

It is now six years since the advent of the first MOOC course, and 2012 is widely identified as the year that the hype surrounding MOOCs reached its peak and in 2013 began its path into ‘trough of disillusionment’. The key questions for institutions are what lessons we might learn from the MOOC experiment and how this may help institutions to develop a more strategic approach to improve the quality of teaching and learning and open up access to higher education?

READ MORE

Where to put your EPUB metadata

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

15th January

Even in the knowledge that current mainstream EPUB readers and applications for managing eBooks will most likely ignore all but the most trivial metadata, we still have use cases that involve more sophisticated metadata. For example we would like to use the LRMI alignment object in schema.org to say that a particular subsection of a book can be useful in the context of a specific unit in a shared curriculum.

READ MORE

Our pick of posts from 2013

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

14th January

For the last few years we’ve started January with a quick look back at our posts from the previous year. 2013 saw a lot of changes for Cetis, with the ending of Jisc Core funding and subsequent loss of some key staff members. But there were some highlights too. So here’s our pick of the posts we liked the best and why.

READ MORE

Interesting Times

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

31st December 2013

I’m not much given to end of year reflections as I tend to see this as a time to look forward rather than back, however I can’t let this year pass without comment. My former Cetis colleague Sheila MacNeil has already written a lovely reflective post over at her blog called That Was The Year That Was; my equivalent post is rather more That Was The Year That Wasn’t. Unsurprisingly the year was dominated by the University of Strathclyde’s decision to terminate the Cetis Memorandum of Understanding and make all Cetis staff at the university redundant at the end of July.

READ MORE

Privacy? What about self-disclosure?

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

30th December

When we talk about privacy, we are often talking about the right to privacy. That is something like the right to limit or constrain disclosure of information relating to oneself. I’ve often been puzzled by the concept of privacy, and I think that it helps to think first about self-disclosure.

READ MORE

JSON-LD: a useful interoperability binding

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

13th December

Over the last few months I’ve been exploring and detailing a provisional binding of the InLOC spec to JSON-LD (spec; site). My conclusion is that JSON is better matched to linked data than XML is, if you understand how to structure JSON in the JSON-LD way. Here are my reflections, which I hope add something to the JSON-LD official documentation.

READ MORE

Open Educational Practices (OEP): What They Mean For Me and How I Use Them

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

6th December

Yesterday in my role as Innovation Advocate at Cetis I gave a Webinar on “Open Educational Practices (OEP): What They Mean For Me and How I Use Them“.

This webinar was given in a unit on Open Educational Practices which forms part of a PGCAP (Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice) module on Flexible, Distance and Online Learning provided by the University of Salford.

READ MORE

More blog posts are available on the Cetis blogs site.

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://www.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.