To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;3cf59bcf.1411p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo September & October 2014
Cetis Newsletter

Open Learning Analytics Network Summit

As part of its work on the Learning Analytics Community Exchange project, Cetis is organising a one day summit event to broker collaboration around the idea of an Open Learning Analytics platform, based on principles of modularity, open architectures, and open standards, in Amsterdam on December 1st 2014, collaborating with
colleagues from the University of Amsterdam and the Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative. The full call for participation is at: http://bit.ly/OLANetEU14

LRMI moves to Dublin Core

Cetis is pleased to announce that the project phase of the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative has come to a close with the successful transfer of governance for the specification and community engagement passing to the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative. The full announcement is available on the Cetis site

Top posts this issue

Talks on Wikipedia in Edinburgh

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

October 29th 2014

Yesterday was the first anniversary since I started work at Cetis. During that period I have been involved in two main areas of work: supporting the outreach and engagement aspects of the LACE (Learning Analytics Community Exchange) project and promoting use of open educational practices and in particular, use of Wikipedia.

READ MORE

MOOCs and technology-enhanced learning: next steps and challenges

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

27th October 2014

Last week, I gave a presentation at the Westminster Higher Education Forum Keynote Seminar, where I explored the opportunities MOOCs provide for UK universities to develop their brand internationally and to expand their international market through online learning.

READ MORE

On LRMI moving to Dublin Core

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

24th October

At last, it is official: “effective October 23, 2014, leadership and governance of the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI) [...] have transferred from the Association of Educational Publishers and Creative Commons to the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI).”

READ MORE

What is there to learn about standardization?

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

24th October

Cetis (the Centre for Educational Technology, Interoperability and Standards) and the IEC (Institute for Educational Cybernetics) are full of rich knowledge and experience in several overlapping topics. While the IEC has much expertise in learning technologies, it is Cetis in particular where there is a body of knowledge and experience of many kinds of standardization organisations and processes, as well as approaches to interoperability that are not necessarily based on formal standardization. We have an impressive international profile in the field of learning technology standards.

READ MORE

Thoughts on #OEPSforum14 and the Battle for Open

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

22nd October

This rather crowded map of open education in Scotland is the product of a brief ten minute brainstorm I took part in at the launch of the Open University’s Opening Education Practices in Scotland (OEPS) project in Edinburgh last week.

READ MORE

Tracking student blogs using Google Spreadsheets and WordPress

(Back to Top)

Scott Wilson

21st October

I’m currently teaching a first year module on Open Source Software, one of the requirements for which is students write their findings up as blog posts. For that reason I thought it might be useful to be able to keep track of how much my students have been writing. Given there are 80 students on the module, some automation here would also be useful!

READ MORE

On the Question of Validity in Learning Analytics

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

17th October

The question of whether or not something works is a basic one to ask when investing time and money in changing practice and in using new technologies. For learning analytics, the moral dimension adds a certain imperative, although there is much that we do by tradition in teaching and learning in spite of questions about efficacy.

READ MORE

Standards for Web Applications on Mobile: Update on W3C Developments

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

15th September

Back in July 2014 W3C published an overview report on Standards for Web Applications on Mobile which summarised the various technologies developed in W3C which increase the capabilities of Web applications and how they apply to use on mobile devices.

READ MORE

Learning Analytics: not just measuring but engaging students

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

10th September

Last week, I ran a workshop for the Lace project on “Learning Analytics: seeking answers at a time of big questions?” at the ALT-C14. The workshop was designed to bring together educators, researchers and developers to explore the promises and the pitfalls of using learning analytics in education.

READ MORE

eBooks and libraries, the right to eRead? #ebooks14

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

8th September

About once a year I go to some meeting or another on libraries and eBooks. I nearly always come back from it struck by the tension between libraries, as institutions of stability, and the rapid pace at which technology companies are driving forward eBook technology.

READ MORE

LRMI Implementation Cases Study: Untrikiwiki

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

4th September 2014

Project team: Maximilian Klein, Untrikiwiki and Yoran Koren, WikiWorks
"The purpose of this project was to allow MediaWiki-based Open Educational Resource (OER) communities to adopt LRMI. This was done in two ways. Firstly, we built the technical infrastructure necessary for MediaWiki-based OER communities to implement LRMI. Secondly, we approached MediaWiki-based OER communities in attempt to convince them to use LRMI.”

READ MORE

More posts available on the Cetis blogs site

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://www.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter