To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;2442302c.1404p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo February & March 2014
Cetis Newsletter

Cetis Conference 2014

The Conference, Building the Digital Institution will be held on the 17th and 18th June at the University of Bolton. We are delighted to announce that Audrey Watters and Phil Richards will be keynoting. The conference programme is at: www.cetis.ac.uk/2014-cetis-conference/ General Registration opens mid April.

Cetis to co-lead the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative

We are pleased to announce that Cetis has been commissioned by Creative Commons to help manage the third phase of the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI). The project, which builds on the work of Schema.org, aims to support the discovery of relevant education resources on the web. Read Announcement.

Top posts on Cetis blogs:

Learning Analytics Interoperability – The Big Picture in Brief

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

28th March 2014

Learning Analytics is now moving from being a research interest to a wider community who seek to apply it in practice. As this happens, the challenge of efficiently and reliably moving data between systems becomes of vital practical importance. System interoperability can reduce this challenge in principle, but deciding where to drill down into the details will be easier with a view of the “big picture”.

READ MORE

A personal reflection on Open Education

(Back to Top)

Li Yuan

Image

14th March

Two years ago, Lou McGill developed an Open Educational Resources timeline which reflected on the involvement of Cetis with learning technology and OERs over the past ten years. I found it very interesting and thought provoking. In this Open Education week, I would like to share some thoughts and reflections on Open Education through my personal learning journey and some of the work that I have been involved in with OERs, Open Online Learning and MOOCs.

READ MORE

5 lessons for OER from Open Source and Free Software

(Back to Top)

Scott Wilson

Image

13th March

While the OER community owes some of its genesis to the open source and free software movements, there are some aspects of how and why these movements work that I think are missing or need greater emphasis.

READ MORE

The growing need for open frameworks of learning outcomes

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

12th March

Imagine what could happen if we had a really good sets of usable open learning outcomes, across academic subjects, occupations and professions. It would be easy to express and then trace the relationships between any learning outcomes. To start with, it would be easy to find out which higher-level learning outcomes are composed, in a general consensus view, of which lower-level outcomes.

READ MORE

The Scottish Open Education Declaration

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

11th March

The origins of the Open Scotland Initiative can be traced back to the OER12 Conference in Cambridge where Sir John Daniel, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Commonwealth of Learning, presented a keynote about the COL / UNESCO Open Educational Resource Survey and the Paris OER Declaration. Joe Wilson of SQA and I were both in the audience that day, and when Sir John mentioned that the survey had been sent out to all Commonwealth Governments, OECD Commonwealth countries and UNESCO Member States, we couldn’t help wondering if a copy had ever reached the Scottish Government. As far as we were able the ascertain, this widely disseminated questionnaire never found its way north of the border to Edinburgh, so here was no Scottish response.

READ MORE

Open Education and Wikipedia: Developments in the UK

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

10th March

As I explained in a post which asked “How Are You Using Wikipedia?” I will be giving a presentation on use of Wikipedia in the UK’s higher education sector at the Eduwiki conference to be held in Belgrade on 24 March 2014.

Since this post is published in a series on open education it seems appropriate to adopt open practices in the preparation of the talk. I am therefore ‘flipping’ my talk and have made my slides available on Slideshare (and embedded below) in advance of the Eduwiki conference

READ MORE

Explaining the LRMI Alignment Object

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

6th March

The educational alignment property and the associated alignment object that LRMI introduced into schema.org have been described as the “killer feature” for LRMI. However, I know from the number of questions asked about the alignment object and from examples I have seen of it being used wrongly that it is not the easiest construct to understand.

READ MORE

Interoperability Incubation and Pre-standardisation Activity – A View on Desirable Qualities

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

21st February 2014

There is an important process that should feed into the development of good standards (that are used in practice) and this process is currently in need of repair and reformation. They key idea behind this is that good standards to support educational technology, to take our area of particular interest, are not created on a blank sheet of paper by an elite but emerge from practice, collaborative design, experimentation, selective appropriation of web standards, … etc.

READ MORE

Cabinet Office Consults on Open Standards for Government – URI Patterns and Document Formats

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

7th February

Feedback is invited on three proposals by Feb 24th (and 26th). The proposals relate to the following challenges (which apply to UK government use, not the whole of the public sector or the devolved governments):

READ MORE

#Cetis14 – Building the Digital Institution: Technological Innovation in Universities and Colleges

(Back to Top)

Christina Smart

Image

4th February

We are very pleased to announce that the annual Cetis conference #cetis14 will take place on the 17th and 18th June at our host institution the University of Bolton. This is the tenth year of the Cetis conference (prizes for anyone who has attended all ten). The theme this year focuses on the digital institution and how technology can and is being used in every aspect of university and college life.

READ MORE

More articles are available on the Cetis blog site

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.