To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;157bc71f.1312p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo October / November 2013
Cetis Newsletter

Brian Kelly joins and Lorna Campbell rejoins Cetis team

Cetis had two new appointments in October. Lorna Campbell returned to her role as Assistant Director and Brian Kelly joins us as an Innovation Advocate. Paul Hollins, Cetis co-director said: "We are delighted to have Lorna back on board and to welcome Brian to the Cetis team. We have a number of new projects starting over the next few months and so it is essential that we have the Cetis team back up to capacity. Lorna and Brian bring their talents and enthusiasm to the work we do and we are delighted to have them on board.”

Full Announcement

New publication: Engaging Developers in Standards Development

A short paper by Lorna Campbell and Adam Copper is now available from the Cetis Publications site. The paper discusses how Cetis Codebash events help to achieve practical interoperability by testing new specifications and standards. Drawing on years of experience includes a checklist for running a successful Code bash, including who to invite and the ground rules to establish.

Engaging Developers in Standards Development

Jisc RSC Scotland Open Education Joint Forum

(Back to Top)

Lorna Campbell

Image

29th November

Earlier this week I was invited by Jisc RSC Scotland to attend their Open Education Joint Forum which took place at the Informatics Forum at the University of Edinburgh. It was a very well attended event that featured a packed programme of thought provoking and engaging presentations that highlighted a range of really inspiring open education developments. I’ve put together a storify of the event’s lively twitter back channel here

READ MORE

A simpler sourcing maturity assessment approach

(Back to Top)

Wilbert Kraan

Image

29th November

Knowing how to procure your IT services, software and hardware is a vital function in any organisation. Assessing one’s maturity in this aspect can be complex, which is why SURF developed a simpler approach.

READ MORE

Using standards to make assessment in e-textbooks scalable, engaging but robust

(Back to Top)

Wilbert Kraan

Image

6th November

During last week’s EDUPUB workshop, I presented a demo of how an IMS QTI 2.1 question item could be embedded in an EPUB3 e-book in a way that is engaging, but also works across many e-book readers. Here’s the why and how.

READ MORE

Reflections on the EduWiki 2013 Conference

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

5th November

On Friday and Saturday, 1 and 2 November 2013, I attended the EduWiki 2013 Conference. This was the second EduWiki conference organised by Wikimedia UK; EduWiki 2012 was held at the University of Leicester in September 2012.

READ MORE

Innovation in the eighth generation

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

4th November

According to Wikipedia there are eight generations of video game consoles, each generation defined by the consoles that are released and the innovations they make. We are at the start of the eighth generation with the PS4 and Xbox one about to hit the shelves this month.

READ MORE

Policy and Strategy for Systemic Deployment of Learning Analytics – Barriers and Potential Pitfalls

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

31st October

George Siemens hosted an online seminar to explore issues around the systemic deployment of learning analytics in mid October 2013.This post is intended to be equivalent in message my presentation at the seminar; I think the written word might be more clear, not least because my oratorial skills are not what they could be. The result is still a bit rambling but I lack the time to develop a nicely-styled essay.

READ MORE

Educational Technology Standardization in Europe

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

29th October

The current situation in Europe regarding the whole process of standardization in the area of ICT for Learning Education and Training (LET) is up in the air just now, because of a conflict between how we, the participants, see it best proceeding, and how the formal de jure standards bodies are reinforcing their set up.

READ MORE

Starting A New Job!

(Back to Top)

Brian Kelly

Image

28th October

I’m really pleased to announce that I’ve got a new job. As announced on the Cetis Web site today I started work at Cetis as an Innovation Advocate (great job title!)

READ MORE

Learning Analytics Interoperability – some thoughts on a “way ahead” to get results sometime soon

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

17th October

The “results” of the title are the situation where increased interoperability contributes to practical learning analytics (exploratory, experimental, or operational). The way ahead to get results sometime soon requires care; focussing on the need and the hunger without restraining ambition will surely mean a failure to be timely, successful, or both.

READ MORE

InLOC and OpenBadges: a reprise

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

7th October

InLOC is well designed to provide the conceptual “glue” or “thread” for holding together structures and planned pathways of achievement, which can be represented by Mozilla OpenBadges.

READ MORE

Open Standards Board – First Recommendations Announced

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

1st October

The Open Standards Board, which exists to make recommendations to the UK (Westminster) Government Cabinet Office, met last week and completed the journey to the first milestone in the new process by which open standards are to be selected. This process is based around the idea that “challenges” are raised on the Standards Hub, proposals worked up to meet challenges under the supervision of two panels (“data standards” and “technical standards”), and subsequently put before the Open Standards Board.

READ MORE

More articles are available from the Cetis blog site

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to Cetis Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://www.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.