To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;121b6937.1306p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo May 2013
JISC CETIS Newsletter

LASI-UK Informatics Forum

Jisc CETIS in partnership with the Open University in Scotland and the University of Edinburgh School of Informatics will be hosting a one day event on the 5th July in the Informatics Forum (Edinburgh) focusing on Learning Analytics. This free, interactive event has a dual focus on data visualisation and working with dialogue data. Agenda and Registration via Eventbrite.

Analytics in UK Further and Higher Education Survey

To give us (and the community) a more accurate insight into the use of Analytics in the sector we have launched our Analytics in UK Further and Higher Education survey. What ever your role we'd like to hear from you about how Analytics approaches are used in your institution.

New Activity Data and Paradata Briefing Paper

This month we published a new briefing paper on Activity Data and Paradata. The paper by Lorna Campbell and Phil Barker presents a concise overview of a range of approaches and specifications for recording and exchanging data generated by the interactions of users with resources. Available from the Cetis publications site.

An interactive employability event, some notes

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

28th May

Last week at the University of Bolton we put on a workshop for final year students that were about to embark on a job hunt. While the workshop was held in conjunction with the careers advice service and there was chance to give students a hand with practical things such as CV writing and interview technique.

READ MORE

Playing with Google Docs sidebar using Google Apps Script

(Back to Top)

Martin Hawksey

Image

17th May

The Google Apps Script team have recently announced a host of new features. The three that caught my eye were:

* Script editor added to Google Docs and Forms
* Addition of the Forms Service which lets you programmatically manipulate forms
* Extending Google Docs functionality using Custom menus and user interfaces including creating custom sidebars

READ MORE

IT departments - the institutional fall guy for MOOCs?

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

16th May

As Martin Weller pointed out earlier this week there are a growing number of MOOC metaphors being created. As I've been following the tweets from today's "#moocapalooza " (a hashtag I think invented by David Kernohan) a.k.a. Open and Online Learning making the most of MOOCs and other Models Conference I think I need to to add the Fall Guy to Martin's list.

READ MORE

Are you being asked in include Learning Analytics in your Teaching and Learning Strategy? Some resources to help.

(Back to Top)

Martin Hawksey

Image

16th May

Learning Analytics appears to be increasingly on peoples mind’s and I’m aware of a number of staff being asked to contribute on this area in their teaching and learning strategies. I thought it would be useful to spotlight some resources produced by Cetis and Jisc in this area that might help.

READ MORE

ebooks 2013

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

13th May

Every year for the past dozen or so years the Department of Information Sciences at UCL have organised a meeting on ebooks. This year I was able to attend and it turned out to be far more interesting than I had hoped.

READ MORE

The thorny issue of MOOCs and OER

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

10th May

Along with the news that GCU and the Scottish College Development Network are developing guidelines for the creation and use of open educational resources, another Scottish news item caught my attention this week. Finally, after weeks of speculation, it was announced that the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde will join the FutureLearn partnership.

READ MORE

A new (for me) understanding of standardization

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

6th May

When engaging deeply in any standardization project, as I have with the InLOC project, one is likely to get new insights into what standardization is, or should be.

READ MORE

QTI 2.1 spec release helps spur over £250m of investment worldwide

(Back to Top)

Wilbert Kraan

Image

3rd May

With the QTI 2.1 specification finalised and released, we’re seeing significant global investment in tools that implement the spec. Tools developed by JISC projects have been central.

READ MORE

Learning Analytics Interoperability

(Back to Top)

Adam Cooper

Image

3rd May

The ease with which data can be transferred without loss of meaning from a store to an analytical tool - whether this tool is in the hands of a data scientist, a learning science researcher, a teacher, or a learner – and the ability of these users to select and apply a range of tools to data in formal and informal learning platforms are important factors in making learning analytics and educational data mining efficient and effective processes.

READ MORE

Open Scotland

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

3rd May

In collaboration with SQA, Jisc RSC Scotland and the ALT Scotland SIG, Cetis is hosting a one day
summit focused on open education policy for Scotland which will take place at the National Museum of Scotland at the end of June.

READ MORE

Read 14 more articles on the Jisc Cetis site

(Back to Top)

READ MORE

All links go directly to individual blog sites.

You are subscribed to JISC CETIS Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

We like feedback! Let us know what you think of this newsletter.