To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CETIS-ANNOUNCE;f67485a2.1207p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo June 2012
JISC CETIS Newsletter

Webinar: Learning resource metadata for schema.org

In this webinar we will explore the background, intent and output of the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI). The LRMI has proposed extensions to the schema.org microdata vocabulary with the aim of facilitating the discovery of learning resources through major search engines and other discovery services. We will provide an introduction to schema.org and describe the specific approach taken by LRMI. The target audience is staff from UK Further and Higher Education with an interest in the resource dissemination of learning resources (for example Open Educational Resources, OERs) and building services for their discovery, especially those people involved in JISC projects and services. If demand is high priority will be given to this audience. Further details

IMS Learning Tools Interoperability Briefing paper

An introduction to the new LTI specification by Stephen Vickers is now available from the CETIS publications site.

TechWatch Report: Delivering Web to Mobile

This report, by Mark Power, looks at the growth of mobile, the state of the Web and gives an overview of approaches to delivering content and services optimised for the mobile context. This includes approaches to Web design for responsive sites, leveraging access to device functions and capabilities and the use of Web technologies to build mobile applications. Available from the CETIS Publications site

Top 10 posts this month:

Developing a new approach to competence representation

(Back to Top)

Simon Grant

Image

30th June

InLOC is a European project organised to come up with a good way of communicating structures or frameworks of competence, learning outcomes etc. We've now produced our interim reports for consultation: the Information Model and the Guidelines.

READ MORE

Rave, OpenSocial, and Edukapp in Utrecht

(Back to Top)

Scott Wilson

Image

29th June

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Apache Rave Hackleton at SURFNet in Utrecht. This was also an opportunity to talk about the latest developments in OpenSocial, and also about open web app stores and Edukapp.

READ MORE

Preview: Draft of TechWatch Report on Data-driven Infrastructure Available for Comments

(Back to Top)

JISC Observatory

Image

28th June

The JISC Observatory is pleased to announce the publication of this preview version of our Preparing for Data-driven Infrastructure TechWatch report, written by Max Hammond.

READ MORE

The Human Computer: a diversion from normal CETIS work

(Back to Top)

Phil Barker

Image

26th June

No, there’s no ‘Interaction’ missing in that title, this is about building a computer, or at least a small part of one, out of humans.

READ MORE

The problem with most university websites

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

20th June

is pretty much summed up by the genius of xckd in this cartoon.

READ MORE

Service Design is the future!

(Back to Top)

Lisa Corley

Image

18th June

It is true to say that we are lucky enough at times to be able to work on something that really is interesting, and that for me is true of the world of ‘service design’.

READ MORE

RSS Feed Social Share Counting Google Spreadsheet

(Back to Top)

Martin Hawksey

Image

11th June

Sheila MacNeill recently shared Some thoughts on web analytics using our work on analytics in which she mentioned a tool I developed which allows us to quickly get social share and page view counts for out blog, category or project feeds.

READ MORE

Sharing ideas in a distributed organisation

(Back to Top)

David Sherlock

Image

8th June

A good thing about working in JISC CETIS is being surrounded by the wide array of interests and ideas of its staff. A bad thing about working for JISC CETIS is with its distributed nature (and the fact everybody is always so busy!) it is always not possible to sit down and have a good natter about these interests.

READ MORE

Some thoughts on web analytics using our work on analytics

(Back to Top)

Sheila MacNeill

Image

7th June

As I've mentioned before, CETIS are in the middle of a piece of work for JISC around analytics in education (our Analytics Reconnoitre project). You may have noticed a number of blog posts from myself and colleagues around various aspects of analytics in education. We think this is a "hot topic" but is it? Can our analytics help us to gauge interest?

READ MORE

OER Rapid Innovation Catch-up

(Back to Top)

Lorna M. Campbell

Image

6th June

Towards the end of last week the JISC / HEA OER Rapid Innovation projects and CETIS got together for an online catch up session facilitated by Programme Manager Amber Thomas. It’s a really interesting bunch of projects and it was great to hear how everyone is getting on.

READ MORE

19 further articles published this month available on the JISC CETIS web site

(Back to Top)

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

Please note that links take you directly to individual staff blog posts.

You are subscribed to JISC CETIS Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
http://JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=CETIS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://jisc.cetis.ac.uk

Feedback: In light of feedback from you we've changed the format of this newsletter. Let us know what you think!