Re: RELION 3 Volta Benchmarks

Patrick Goetz <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:11:25 -0500

On 08/31/2018 04:04 PM, Craig Yoshioka wrote:
> A little saddened by the Volta numbers honestly!  Looks like the 1080 or 1080Ti are still value king as long as your model/data fits in GPU mem.

It seems clear from these benchmarks that Relion 3 is only doing single
precision computations? Given the price difference and relatively
comparable single precision performance, I have not been able to talk
anyone into using the Tesla cards; never mind Nvidia's attempts to push
all computational uses to the higher end cards by automatically voiding
the warranty on GTX cards placed in a rackmount chassis.  Getting 50%
more performance for 5x the price just doesn't make sense, so people

Something I've been wondering for a while; maybe someone has a quick
answer. Why does Relion only use single precision computations?