CASBAH-RSLP May 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

noticeboard: archives and libraries

Roiyah Saltus-Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>

A discussion and information mailing list for the RSLP funded CASBAH projec <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 May 2001 10:41:34 +0100

text/plain

*DESCRIPTION SEMINAR - 27th June, 2001
*Launch of the West Midlands Cultural Diversity Network
*Archive Researcher Part time, 0.6FTE
*Director Kensington & Chelsea Community History Group

DESCRIPTION SEMINAR - 27th June, 2001

Venue: The Imperial Hotel, Russell Square, London WC1B 5BB

This seminar is intended as a highly participative professional development
opportunity for more experienced practitioners who want to up-date their
knowledge and and experience with current developments in descriptive
standards. It will also provide an occasion for networking with others in
similar situations.

The day begins with a session on managing the description function, followed
by a masterclass on ISAD(G) and an introduction to using ISAAR. After lunch
there will be a sessions focussing on EAD and technology issues with a final
facilitated group discussion to enable participants to develop their own
action plans.

The course fee of #105 includes a course handbook with supporting notes and
useful follow-up information. The fee also includes lunch (with vegetarian
option, please let the directors know if you have any other special dietary
needs) and tea and coffee.

 PROGRAMME

9.00-9.30 Registration and coffee

9.30-10-00 Introduction

10.00-11.00 Managing the description function and performance measurement -
Janet Foster

11.00.11.15 Coffee

11.15-12.30 ISAD(G) Masterclass - Caroline Shenton, Parliamentary Archive

12.30-1.00 ISAAR: A standard for recording provenance - Margaret Crockett

1.00-2.00 Lunch

2.00-3.00 From ISAD(G) to EAD - speaker TBA

3.00-3.15 Tea

3.15-3.45 Technology issues - Margaret Crockett & Janet Foster

3.45-4.30 Action plan surgery - Janet Foster and Margaret Crockett

APPLICATION FORM
Send to: TASC, May Cottage, Fountayne Road, London N16 7EB or email to:

Full name Employer
Position Address
Telephone
Fax
Email
? I enclose a cheque for #105 payable to the Archive-Skills consultancy
(TASC)
? Please send me a receipt
? Please invoice my employer
-----

Launch of the West Midlands Cultural Diversity Network

The national Cultural Diversity Network was set up in 1998 following a
discussion at the Group for Education in Museums Conference.

The main aims of the network are:
*       To establish and co-ordinate freely accessible regional cultural
diversity networks
*       To respond to the needs of the museum profession with regards to
advice and training
*       To assist museums in reflecting the contribution of diverse cultures
to society, economy, culture and history of the UK
*       To facilitate contacts between museums and galleries, the local
community and organisations involved in cultural diversity issues
*       To map the development of cultural diversity work in museums and
galleries
*       To disseminate examples of good practice

The Museums and Galleries Commission and now, Resource: the Council for
Museums, Archives and Libraries have supported the Network through a small
grant to each Area Museum Council.  They have also collected case-studies of
good practice and undertaken two small-scale mapping exercises in 1999 and
2001.

18th June 2001

Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry

10.00           Coffee

10.15           Welcome to the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum
                Reyhan King, Art Gallery Manager

10.20           Introduction to the day
                Emma Hawthorne, Network Co-ordinator

10.30           The National Picture
                                Caroline Lang, Adviser, Education Access &
Audience Development at Resource: the Council for Museums. Archives and
Libraries

10.45   Positive Action Traineeships at Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery
Rita MacLean, Head of Community Museums

11.00   Profiles project: mapping cultural diversity resources in the region
- Jerry Weber, Regional Development Officer, Museums, Archives and Libraries

11.15           Questions and panel discussion

11.30           Coffee

11.45   Recent projects and plans for development at the Herbert Art Gallery
Reyahn King and Clayton Shaw

12.00           Current initiatives in West Midlands libraries
                                Liane Kordan, Development Director, The
Libraries Partnership - West Midlands

12.15   Plans for development at Sandwell Museum Service
                Raj Pal, Manager of Sandwell Heritage Services Lunch

12.30   Questions and panel discussion

1.00    Lunch

1.45    Discussion groups to plan the future work of the Network

2.45    Tea

3.00    Feedback and closing discussion

3.50    Future Action

4.00    Close

-------
Archive Researcher Part time, 0.6FTE

new chapter in education

The British Library has a successful and expanding public programme offering
opportunities for enjoyment and learning to a wide audience including
schools, families and all visitors to our new building at St Pancras. We are
now looking to fill key positions in the Education Service to develop our
education web site and to manage our on-site programmes.

'Living Words' the British Library's web site for schools -
www.education.bl.uk

To develop our site in exciting new ways to support the National Curriculum
in primary and secondary schools we need to expand our web team:

Archive Researcher Part time, 0.6FTE

with experience of research in library and archive collections, you will
identify and assemble source material in the British Library's collections
for a wide range of National Curriculum subjects.

Salary circ. £20,000 pro rata Ref. LW1

Director

Kensington & Chelsea Community History Group

Director
£28,000 - £30,000

We are a dynamic, growing organisation which has successfully developed
community history with people of all ages and backgrounds in this lively
multicultural borough. We are seeking a Director with enthusiasm for working
with a wide range of communities so that those whose histories have not
previously been heard are given a voice.

Established as a charity in 1989, our staff team of five run projects using
oral history and reminiscence in a range of creative ways. Our award-winning
publications enable local residents to contribute their stories to the
history of the area and its multi-cultural communities. Older people
contribute their recollections to the history curriculum in schools and
trained volunteers do one-to-one reminiscence with frail elderly people at
home.

In an exciting development we now are setting up the North Kensington
Community Archive. Money raised from a local appeal and a major award from
the Heritage Lottery Fund will establish the archive and run oral history
projects with the local Caribbean, Spanish, Irish and Moroccan communities.

We are seeking someone who will bring vision, leadership and strategic
financial skills to the organisation. He/she will have a track record in
project development, staff management and fundraising. Imagination and a
strong commitment to developing the skills and interests of volunteers and
users are essential qualities.
For an application pack send an A4 stamped addressed envelope (57p stamp) to
KCCHG, 240 Lancaster Road, London W11 4AH. CVs will not be accepted.
Closing date: Wednesday June 6th. Interviews: Friday June 22nd.