Help for BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP Archives

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP Home

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP  July 2018

BSA-GENDER-STUDY-GROUP July 2018

CfP for the Panel: (En)Gendering Identity: Gender in Culture, Education and Society in Europe, Lucca, Italy, 28 – 30 September 2018

Dorian Isone <[log in to unmask]>

Dorian Isone <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jul 2018 18:29:14 +0100

CALL FOR PAPERS
For the Panel:
(En)Gendering Identity: Gender in Culture, Education and Society  in Europe

Panel proposed by Dr. Panayiota Chrysochou, The University of Cyprus

As part of the 8th Euroacademia International Conference: Europe Inside-Out: Europe and Europeanness Exposed to Plural Observers,
Lucca, Italy, 28 – 30 September 2018
Deadline for Paper Proposals: 15th of July 2018

Panel Description:

In Judith Butler's highly influential and groundbreaking book 'Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity' (1990), Butler pokes fun at the notion that there is an 'original' gender to which we can ascribe, and playfully asserts that all gender is in fact scripted, rehearsed, and performed. To what extent can we challenge the notion that there is no fixed and gendered identity? Is it true to say that there is no such thing as real or true gender and/or that it is merely a constructed entity upon which implicit and invisible assumptions are heteronormatively entrenched in a patriarchal society? Can we really move beyond or outside gender and gendered constructions of identity? What are the stakes of eliding gender altogether? Is identity a fixed concept? Such questions become even more imperative nowadays given the growing politico-cultural tendency to assume that gender is an existing given which either can be singled out as a unique form of oppression or a systematized and neat classification in education, culture, and society at large. A case in point is the Universities UK's recent report which endorses gender segregation at university events.

This panel seeks to explore and address these issues in a number of ways. Broadly speaking, we welcome abstracts which engage with gender issues as documented in case studies, stories, on stage and in the literature, and particularly welcome papers which unsettle the fixed and divisive binary of 'subject/object', 'man/woman' and fixed notions of gender and identity politics.

Topics to be addressed and discussed include non-exclusively:
•	 Notions of gender and identity politics in literature and the performing arts
•	Gender dysphoria, gender reassignment and drag
•	Gender issues in higher education, culture, religion and society
•	Ways of destabilizing notions of a fixed and gendered body and identity politics and/or potentially moving beyond or outside gender definitions
•	Gender and trauma

Please apply on-line or submit abstracts of less than 300 words together with the details of affiliation by 15th of July 2018 to [log in to unmask]
For complete details please see the conference website:
http://euroacademia.eu/conference/8eio/

The BSA Gender Study Group mailing list is for the exchange of ideas and information related to any aspect of Gender Studies and scholarship. We do not undertake editorial control of postings; viewpoints and information posted to the list do not necessarily represent the views of the convenors or association. We encourage respectful communication on the list and ask that questions related to specific postings be directed to the appropriate party.