New Year Message from BNAC officers

Punam Yadav <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jan 2019 09:26:10 +0000

Dear all,

Wish you a Very Happy and Successful Year 2019!

The year 2018 was a very productive year for BNAC as we were able to successfully organise and support our regular activities that have engaged BNAC members and other Nepal-related researchers and academics. Our 16th Nepal Study Days (Nepal Conference) was held in Durham University, where General Meeting elected new officials for a term of four-year (2018-22). The 16th Annual Lecture was delivered by Prof. Joanna Pfaff-Czarnecka, of Bielefeld University at SOAS. The PhD Dissertation Prize, which was established in 2017 to encourage and reward a PhD student or a recent PhD graduate, was received by Dr Marina Korzenevica for her paper on ‘Young People Navigating Political Engagement through Post-war Instability and Mobility: A Case from Rural Nepal’. After a successful first year, we have decided to continue the PhD Prize for 2019 as well.

This year we look forward to welcoming you at the following major events:
1.	On 15th and 16th April, we will hold our 17th Nepal Study Days (Nepal Conference) in Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and University of Edinburgh. We very much hope you will participate in it. The deadline for submission of 300-word abstracts is 28th February. Further details can be found here: http://bnac.ac.uk/activities/bnac-nsd-cfp-edinburgh-2019/
2.	This year the terms of four executive committee members is coming to the end and we will be holding elections during our General Meeting at Edinburgh to elect new members for four years (2019-2023).
3.	BNAC is one of the co-organizers, along with the Social Science Baha (Nepal), CNRS (France), ANHS (USA) and Nepal Academic Network (Japan), of the 8th Annual Kathmandu Conference on Nepal and the Himalaya. This year it will be held from 24th to 26th July. The deadline for submitting paper proposals is 15th January 2019. Details are available here: http://soscbaha.org/call-for-papers/
4.	In November 2019 the BNAC Annual Lecture will be delivered by Prof. Yogendra Yadav (details to follow).
5.	BNAC Executive Committee has agreed to organise an annual event, a lecture or a reading workshops in Kathmandu, to be jointly organised with Martin Chautari, a leading Kathmandu-based NGO engaged in academic and research activities. The format of the programme is being developed.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that the membership of BNAC runs according to the calendar year (1 January-31 December). The membership gives you free access to the Nepal Study Days and the knowledge that you are supporting academic exchange and the study of Nepal. We hope that you will get involved in our activities and help us to organize more.

It would be very helpful if you could renew your membership in a timely manner, if possible by setting up an annual direct debit to be paid on the 1st of January or as early as possible. We offer a discount to members who pay online through direct debit. The details of membership and the payment methods are on the membership page here: http://bnac.ac.uk/membership/

Our members’ page can be found here: http://bnac.ac.uk/general-member/. If your details are not here, and you would like to have them included, please send them to [log in to unmask]

If you haven’t already done so, please sign up here to receive emails about events:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=BNAC

Details about the BNAC can be accessed from our brochure which can be downloaded from our website (http://bnac.ac.uk).  Please visit our website, and Facebook and/or Twitter pages for further information or do get in touch if there is anything you would like to know,

Best wishes

Krishna Adhikari (Chair)                 Punam Yadav (Secretary)       Fraser Sugden (Treasurer)
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]  	          [log in to unmask]