Help for BISA Archives

BISA Archives

BISA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BISA Home

BISA  July 2012

BISA July 2012

Job opportunity at Europeana: Junior Operations Officer

"Ranft, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>

Ranft, Richard

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:24:47 +0100

Forwarded on behalf of the Europeana team

Best wishes
Richard Ranft
IASA webmanager
www.iasa-web.org

Europeana are looking to strengthen their team by recruiting a:

Junior Operations Officer

See also on our website: http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/about/current-openings

Europeana is the European gateway for digital cultural heritage. Through our portal, widgets and apps, people can find millions of digitised images, texts, maps, paintings, sounds and audio-visual materials from Europe’s museums, libraries and archives.

The Europeana Foundation office is based in The Hague in the Netherlands. 35 people work on a wide variety of European projects contributing to Europeana and a European Cultural Commons. Together with cultural institutions from all over Europe, we are expanding and improving our services. Our ambition is to provide new forms of access to culture, to inspire creativity and to engage people with their cultural heritage. In our European team of professionals, we are looking for a

Junior Operations Officer

The job would suit someone with practical knowledge of working with cultural heritage metadata (archives, museums and audio-visual archives), and experience with library metadata formats is particularly preferred. You should be able to work very accurately and precisely and have an excellent eye for detail. Do you have a passion for making cultural heritage accessible to the public and like to work in a non profit organisation? If you are a team player and are comfortable working in an international environment then we might have the right job for you!

What will be the core responsibilities of this job?

As a Junior Operations Officer you will proactively and effectively carry out metadata assistance, data harvesting, ingestion and publication of data from providers and aggregators contributing to Europeana, ensuring accessibility to this content. You will offer support to all the providers and aggregators on issues regarding the data ingestion process and quality management of the content.
You will also be assisting in defining content selection criteria, in analysing the data quality of new datasets and giving feedback to aggregators and providers on how to improve their data quality.  Another important part of this role is planning and updating the existing dataset.

You will be working in a team with two Operations Officers and an Operations Manager. You will handle the daily ingestion flow of Europeana’s aggregators and content providers, together with your future colleagues. This requires working with Europeana’s metadata standards, ESE and EDM, and giving feedback on mappings from your content providers. The job requires communication with our partners on a daily basis and good communication skills are therefore important.

In addition, you will assist with the maintenance of statistics on datasets and you will participate in achieving the targets defined on the team KPIs.

What set of skills and knowledge should you bring?

•	Ideally you have a University or Higher Vocational Education level of education in Information Management, Library Science or a related field.
•	You will preferably have experience within the cultural sector and/or the library sector.
•	Work experience and excellent knowledge of metadata formats
•	You are able to work very accurately and precisely and have an excellent eye for detail.
•	You are IT-literate and are a fast learner when it comes to picking up new software and new procedures.
•	You like working in an international and dynamic work environment

What are the benefits?

You will have a good basic salary, which is in line with the Collective Labour agreement for Research Institutes Scale 7, depending on your experience and skills. Your annual gross salary will be between €25,800 and €32,500, holiday allowance included.  Furthermore you will have 42 days holiday per year and an annual bonus (around 8%) plus very good fringe benefits.

It’s also important to know that we are based in the National Library of the Netherlands in The Hague, close to Central Station.

What is the recruitment procedure?

Send us your CV (in English) with a covering letter outlining what interests you about this position to:  [log in to unmask]

Should you have any additional questions or require more information before deciding to apply, please send us an email.

You should respond before 31 August 2012 and first interviews will take place between 10 and 14 September 2012.

More about us:

For more information see: http://europeana.eu/portal/aboutus.html

Acquisition as a result of this vacancy will not be appreciated

Experience the British Library online at http://www.bl.uk/

The British Library’s new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2010/11 : http://www.bl.uk/annualreport2010-11http://www.bl.uk/knowledge

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the mailto:[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

 Think before you print