BIOMIMETICS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BIOMIMETICS Home

BIOMIMETICS  2004

BIOMIMETICS 2004

Patterns and music

J F V Vincent <[log in to unmask]>

Engineers and biologists mechanical design list <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:46:48 +0000

Has anyone ever applied Bayesian analysis to improvisation in jazz?  I'd
like to have a handle on the degree of pleasure one experiences from getting
a high predictive score, and at what point that pleasure turns into boredom
when the score gets so high that the prediction is almost P=1.  Is it then
possible, using this approach, to quantify emotional stimulation/
gratification?  And (this one's for George!) can one use the same approach
when playing Bridge (when presumably the target _is_ P=1)?

Julian

--
Julian FV Vincent                                  [log in to unmask]
Professor of Biomimetics                           office 01225 386596

http://www.bath.ac.uk/Departments/Eng/biomimetics/

I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know.  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)