BBC-HISTORY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BBC-HISTORY Home

BBC-HISTORY  November 2009

BBC-HISTORY November 2009

Re: A.E.T. Henry

Darrell Newton <[log in to unmask]>

The History of the BBC <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:33:13 -0500

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a site to find an image of humorist A.E.T. Henry?

Darrell M. Newton, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Media and Cultural Studies
The Department of Communication Arts
Salisbury University
269 Fulton Hall
Salisbury, MD 21801
(410) 677-5060 Office
(410) 543-6229 Department

homepage: http://faculty.salisbury.edu/~dmnewton/
>>> Hugh Chignell <[log in to unmask]> 02/19/09 10:05 AM >>>
Anthony,

Thanks for your reply to my slightly frustrated inquiry about Infax and the fact that academic researchers do not have use of it.  I appreciate your help and I don't want to stir things up too much but I wasn't entirely convinced by your argument.

If the BBC's position is that Infax cannot be put online because this would constitute a broadcast then why is it available online to commercial researchers?

If you visit the BBC Motion Gallery on the BBC website it states

"As a registered user you'll enjoy total access to our full suite of features including;
Search the BBC Archive"

https://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/Register.aspx

So online access to Infax is available for commercial users but not for academic researchers!  If I was 'Hugh Chignell Films' I could look at Infax from my desk here in Bournemouth, but if I am 'Dr Hugh Chignell' trying to write a history of BBC radio current affairs, I can't.

This is not actually about copyright or compliance, it's about money.

Best, Hugh

Dr Hugh Chignell
Associate Professor of Broadcasting History,
Bournemouth Media School
Bournemouth University
POOLE BH12 5BB Tel 01202 965763 Mob. 07799 643970