ASSISTECH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ASSISTECH Home

ASSISTECH  April 2009

ASSISTECH April 2009

Re: adjustable bed control

"Geggie, Colin" <[log in to unmask]>

A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals.

Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:09:24 +0100

Richard
I would avoid making any alternations to bed or armchair handsets.  A
switch covering might increase the risk of a switch latching on.  This
would obviously result in a hazardous situation.

Modifications to electrically tilting beds are best done as part of an
environmental control system.  If this is done then the interface
includes safety features such as time limiting so a switch press via the
environmental control system results in the bed raising/lowering for a
limited time duration.

It might be an idea to refer your student to the local environmental
control service? If your student has other difficulties such as calling
for assistance or using a telephone then these functions could also be
included on the system.  Environmental control services will also have
access to the correct wiring looms and connectors for the bed.

Hope this helps.  I don't know any other way of including the necessary
safety features other than fitting an environmental control system.

regards

Colin Geggie
Clinical Bioengineer, Environmental Control Co-ordinator
SMART (South East Mobility and Rehabilitation Technology) Centre
Astley Ainslie Hospital
133 Grange Loan
Edinburgh
EH9 2HL