ASSISTECH Archives

ASSISTECH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ASSISTECH Home

ASSISTECH  October 2018

ASSISTECH October 2018

Re: Heart rate and switching

"Christoforidis, Christos" <[log in to unmask]>

A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals.

Tue, 23 Oct 2018 08:14:07 +0000

Hello everyone, some interesting answers that I will be exploring. Some of them seem to be more academic at this point in time, which may not be applicable for this particular patient.

I forgot to mention that I have tried EMG switches with her in the past (Emego) but unfortunately the signal was very noisy and we were not able to achieve reliable and "clear" peaks that could be used as a switch output. We tried various points of the body and at that time she was able to abduct her left arm (the family used to suspend her left arm by the use of a floor stand and a couple of rubber bands) but none of the arm or shoulder/back muscles was producing a clear signal. We also tried around the eye and the forehead but the results were similar.

I then found out that a noisy EMG signal is indicative of MND something I think I have mentioned in another post to the group.

Thank you all for your comments, some reading and research now for me to do

Christos Christoforidis MIPEM
Service Lead
Direct line: 01202 705271

Environmental Control Service for Dorset, Hampshire and IOW
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Main Office:
Christchurch Hospital, Fairmile Road, Christchurch, BH23 2JX, Tel: 01202 705278