Re: The Society of New Archivists

Gary Collins <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:46:04 +0100

Just to add my 2p worth to this interesting debate - the latest economic
downturn (like the previous ones) goes across the age range and also
includes people like me, a member of the Society of Old(er) British
Archivists. It can be disheartening to realise that for every job applied
for, there are several younger brighter sleeker 'models' going for the same
vacancy. It has got to the stage where just getting an interview appears to
be a major achievement.

To the young 'uns or others out there I would say, don't get too
downhearted. Keep on top of the jobs vacancies by using tools such as Google
Reader, RSS feeds and the various social networks. Make the most of
voluntary posts - they get you out of the house, you meet different people,
you network more and raise your profile. Voluntary work is also a useful
item to have on your CV. I've found that networking is a major factor in
gaining employment, but I realise that this may not be much help to those
who have recently qualified as archivists and haven't had the chance yet to
build up friends and contacts.

I'm old enough to have lived through previous downturns and spent almost two
years unemployed after graduating in the mid-1980s. I got my break in
archives via a Manpower Services Commission scheme to fund work for the
long-term unemployed. As a result of that I got paid work at what is now the
Centre for Kentish Studies, and the rest is history etc.

End of wander down memory lane.

Gary

Gary Collins
16 Clifton Road