Help for ARCH-EXPERIMENT Archives

ARCH-EXPERIMENT Archives

ARCH-EXPERIMENT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCH-EXPERIMENT Home

ARCH-EXPERIMENT  August 2018

ARCH-EXPERIMENT August 2018

1st annual experimental archaeology student symposium

Chloe Duckworth <[log in to unmask]>

Experimental archaeology in Britain mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:53:50 +0000

*With apologies for cross-posting*

Please see below for an exciting opportunity led by our postgraduate students at Newcastle University.

Call for Papers - Deadline Extended

1st Annual Experimental Archaeology Student Symposium

27th-28th October 2018

School of History, Classics and Archaeology Newcastle University

EXARN (Experimental Archaeology Newcastle) is a recently established PGR led experimental archaeology research group at Newcastle University. Our aim is to bring together researchers employing EA and to encourage, aid and inform those interested in this research method, students and academics alike. We are therefore pleased to announce the first student-led, student-focused experimental archaeology conference.

We invite proposals for papers and posters by postgraduate and early career researchers, focusing on any aspect of experimental archaeology, covering any time period or geographical area. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
.	Theoretical frameworks
.	Methodological innovations and protocols
.	New technologies and archaeometry in EA
.	Life cycle of materials, objects and people
.	Ethno-archaeology and EA
.	EA as outreach

Papers will be 20 minutes, with time afterwards for questions and discussion. Posters should be either A1 or A2 in size. Proposals by international researchers are especially welcome, though please note the symposium is conducted in English.

In addition to traditional oral presentations, we will also be running an IGNITE session. Speakers will be given 3 minutes to talk, utilising a maximum of 5 slides. The IGNITE session is open to anyone, but we particularly encourage those who are putting forward poster submissions to take part in the IGNITE session also.

Please submit abstracts of no more than 300 words to [log in to unmask], along with contact details, institutional affiliation, and three keywords. The deadline for submissions is Friday 31st August 2018. Please indicate if your submission is for an oral paper, poster, and/or IGNITE talk.
EXARN aims to publish the proceedings of this symposium in a peer-reviewed outlet. If you would be interested in including your paper in this publication, please also indicate this in your abstract submission.

We hope to establish this as an annual event going forward and would welcome expressions of interest to bring the conference to your institution next year!

If you have any ideas, questions or enquiries, please feel free to get in touch using the email above.

Dr ChloŽ N. Duckworth FHEA FSA
Lecturer in Archaeological Materials Science

Room 1.21, Armstrong Building
School of History, Classics and Archaeology Newcastle University

CIAS (Cluster for Interdisciplinary Artefact Studies)

PLEASE NOTE: I often close my emails to concentrate on research. If you need me urgently, please phone. I can be reached on (+44) 191 208 7979, or (+44) 7791 964 213