Help for ARABUK Archives

ARABUK Archives

ARABUK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARABUK Home

ARABUK  March 2018

ARABUK March 2018

Postdoc available: Multi-disciplinary predictive Rhizosphere Science: Structural and Chemical mapping and Mathematical modelling

Geraint Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Geraint Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:08:24 +0000

RESEARCH FELLOW IN MULTI-DISCIPLINARY PREDICTIVE RHIZOSPHERE SCIENCE:
STRUCTURAL AND CHEMICAL MAPPING AND MATHEMATICAL MODELLING

BIOENGINEERING GROUP

LOCATION:  Highfield Campus
SALARY:   £29,799 to £36,613 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term for 2 years
CLOSING DATE:   Friday 13 April 2018
INTERVIEW DATE:   To be confirmed
REFERENCE:  982818BX

Start date can be no later than 1st September 2018. Full time fixed
term for 2 years.

  We are looking to recruit a world class researcher into our ERC
Consolidator grant funded multidisciplinary team of scientists
investigating plant-soil interaction.

  There are three streams to the current team’s work: (1) structural
imaging of plant-soil interactions using X-ray Computed Tomography, (2)
chemical mapping of plant-soil interaction using X-ray Fluorescence and
SEM-EDX elemental mapping in correlation with micro-dialysis soil
solution sampling and ICP-MS analysis, and (3) multiscale mathematical
modelling that integrates the structural and chemical information into
the new state of the art mathematical model of plant nutrient uptake.
The pathfinder plant for the project is wheat and the pathfinder
nutrient is P.

  We are looking for a researcher who can integrate across at least two
of the work streams listed above; the preference will be given to the
one who can show the most synergy across all three themes. Thus as part
of the application we would like the applicant to outline how their
skills fit with the strengths and how they improve our weaknesses of the
research group and how it will enable the best possible outcomes for the
postdoctoral fellow and the group in Southampton.

  To be successful you will need a track record of producing peer
reviewed publications. You will hold a PhD or equivalent in soil
science, plant science, applied mathematics or computational engineering
(or other numerate subject). Ability to demonstrate the integration
across different disciplines as part of a close-knit team is absolutely
essential to this position.

  The University of Southampton is an institution in the top one per cent
of world universities* and one of the UK’s top 15 research-intensive
universities.  We have an international reputation for research,
teaching and enterprise.

  You will join a leading Engineering Faculty with an excellent record of
collaborative research with industry and academic institutions in the UK
and abroad.  In September 2016 an Athena SWAN Bronze award was received
in recognition of our continued commitment to improving equality for
women in science and engineering.

  The Faculty offers exceptional research facilities in the areas of
fluids, structures and their interactions, including a new world-class
fluid dynamics facilities complex in the Boldrewood Engineering Campus,
complete with a 138m towing tank.

  _Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from
candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of a relevant
PhD qualification. The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon
successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being
awarded, the title of SENIOR RESEARCH ASSISTANT will be given._

  APPLICATION PROCEDURE

  You should submit your completed online application form at
www.jobs.soton.ac.uk [2]. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE WILL BE MIDNIGHT ON
THE CLOSING DATE STATED ABOVE. If you need any assistance, please call
Matt Saxby (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 3462. Please quote
reference 982818BX on all correspondence.

Informal enquiries to Professor Tiina Roose ([log in to unmask])