Help for ARABUK Archives

ARABUK Archives

ARABUK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARABUK Home

ARABUK  March 2018

ARABUK March 2018

SEB Plant Temperature session and Networking for young scientists

Geraint Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Geraint Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Mar 2018 21:57:30 +0000

Dear colleagues,

This year we are organising a session on ‘Plant temperature responses:
shaping development and enhancing survival?’ at the Society of
Experimental Biology’s Annual Meeting
www.sebiology.org/events/event/seb-florence-2018/programme/plant-biology#temp
in Florence 3-6 July 2018.

Our session is also offering a unique networking opportunity (sponsored
by New Phytologist Trust) for early career scientists working on the
response of plants to temperature changes. PhD students and early career
postdocs are encouraged to submit abstracts and present their work in
this scientific session, followed by a networking event afterwards.
There will also be a prize awarded for the best early career scientist
presentation at the end of the session.

Abstract submission
www.sebiology.org/events/event/seb-florence-2018/abstracts closes in 3
weeks (Deadline: 30 March 2018) and we wanted to ask you to consider
submitting your research to our session.

There will also be two competitions at this year's Annual Meeting to
recognise the research of early career scientists and students, and
their contribution to the field of experimental biology:

•	YSAS Award (Deadline: 23 March 2018) – Three prizes per section
(Animal-Cell, Plant Cell). 1st prize - £400, Runner up – £100
•	Irene Manton poster prize (Deadline: 30 March 2018) - £100 poster
prize per section (Animal, Plant, Cell, SEB+)

More information on these competitions can be found on:
www.sebiology.org/events/event/seb-florence-2018/awards-and-prizes

Our session is also offering a unique networking opportunity (sponsored
by New Phytologist Trust) for early career scientists working on the
response of plants to temperature changes. PhD students and early career
postdocs are encouraged to submit abstracts and present their work in
this scientific session, followed by a networking event afterwards.
There will also be a prize awarded for the best early career scientist
presentation at the end of the session.

Please see below details on our session topic and invited speakers.

We hope you can join us in Florence in July.

Best wishes,

Kerry Franklin and Heather Knight

Plant temperature responses: shaping development and enhancing survival?
www.sebiology.org/events/event/seb-florence-2018/programme/plant-biology#temp

•	Steve Penfield (John Innes Centre, UK) - Maternal temperature
signalling and the control of seed properties
•	Caroline Delker (Halle University, Germany) - Genetic dissection of
plant thermomorphogenesis
•	Julio Salinas (CSIC, Spain) - New molecular mechanisms regulating the
plant response to low temperature
•	Jun-Li Liu (Durham University, UK) - Using mathematical modelling to
establish the link between temperature, calcium signatures and gene
expression in plant cells
•	Dirk Hincha (Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology,
Germany) - Cold acclimation, deacclimation and memory in Arabidopsis
•	Isabel Bäurle (University of Potsdam, Germany) - Chromatin regulation
of heat stress memory in Arabidopsis

This session aims to bring together plant biologists working on all
aspects of plant responses to temperature. This will include molecular
biologists interested in the mechanisms of gene regulation, stress
biologists studying plant adaptation to extreme temperatures and those
interested in how plant development is shaped by variations in
temperature. We expect the session to stimulate discussion between those
working on low and high temperature as well as interactions between
scientists working on early signalling events and those looking at
longer term adaptive responses. We also welcome contributions from those
modelling the response of plants to temperature change.

Dr Heather Knight
Associate Professor in Plant Stress Signalling
Durham University
Department of Biosciences
South Road
Durham