GDPR for ARABUK

Geraint Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 May 2018 09:41:39 +0100

Dear ArabUK subscribers

With the GDPR regulations coming into force last week, I want to give
you the opportunity to unsubscribe to the mailing list if you no longer
wish to be on it.

To do so you can click on the unsubscribe link at
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ARABUK or email me on
[log in to unmask] and I will do it for you.

The message below from the JiscMail service provider gives a link to
their data storage policies for your information.

Best wishes

Geraint Parry,

GARNet coordinator, ARABUK administrator

--
Please encourage your colleagues to sign up for the ArabUK Newsgroup.
Guaranteed no spam! https://goo.gl/oQMzRb

Dr Geraint Parry
https://geraintparry.weebly.com/
http://www.garnetcommunity.org.uk

     Dear List Owners

     Since my previous update on JiscMail and GDPR
(https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=OWNERS-ANNOUNCE;5c7d822f.1805)
we have now reviewed and updated our service policies, which are now
available at: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html

     The main changes in these service policies are 2 new sections:
Section 5: Mailing List Privacy Notice and Section: 12: Data Protection
Schedule, as well as re-numbering sections as appropriate, and there are
some updates to: Section 4: Role of List Owners, Section 7: Mailing List
Archives, Section 9: Limitations, Section 10: Data Protection. The new
sections and updates are described below.

     ***Action for all list owners***
     1. Please read through the changes. If you have any questions about
these (or want to make changes to your mailing lists) please email
     2. Share these updates with your mailing list subscribers by posting
a message to your mailing list, do this by either forwarding this
message and add your own intro/ending or send your own message and link
to this message, you'll find the link to the message in the list
archives: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/owners-announce

     === New section:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#5 Section 5:
Mailing List Privacy Notice ===

     Provides the default privacy notice for mailing lists, it explains
how information information (provided by subscribers, when joining a
mailing list or using a mailing list) is used, is stored and (in some
cases) shared, and how it can be removed. As mentioned in the previous
update, it is important that list owners make subscribers aware of the
privacy notice.
     Feel free to use the template from the service policies - remember
to replace LISTNAME with the name of your list

     === New section:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#11 Section 11:
Data Protection Schedule ===

     This schedule describes the agreement between Jisc/JiscMail (the
Data Processor), and the List Owner (Data Controller).  As such GDPR
requires that there be a written agreement between the Controller (LIST
OWNER) and Processor (JiscMail) that sets out the Processor obligations
with regard to this Processing. Jisc's legal team are taking a
consistent approach with Jisc services and are putting in place a
standard Data Protection Schedule (you may have already seen a version
of this for other Jisc services you/your organisation may use).

     We would ask all list owners to review the information in the Data
Protection Schedule, and If you have any questions, please email

     === Update: Section 4: Role of List Owners
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#4 ===

     We have added an additional point to the bullet which starts
"Keeping the list active by......" the point now ends with "New mailing
lists are expected to be used within 6 months of creation"

     An additional statement has been added below these bullet points,
referring to the new Data Protection Schedule:
     "In relation to data protection legislation, each list owner is the
Controller of the Personal Data in their lists, see the Section 12: Data
Protection Schedule for details of JiscMail's obligations as a Processor
of this Personal Information."

     === Update: Section: 7 Mailing List Archives
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#7 ===

     We have described the different types of mailing list archive
settings which may be applied to a mailing list, and explained that "The
archive privacy setting is displayed on a list homepage,
www.jiscmail.ac.uk/LISTNAME (replacing LISTNAME with the name of the
mailing list)"

     === Update: Section 9: Limitations
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#9 ===

     We have repeated limitations of the service, these existed in other
sections of the policy, but we felt it was important to bring them
together here too:
     "JiscMail does not control or bear any liability for the content of
messages you or others post to lists, it acts as a conduit for messages
and we are not liable for the conduct of any other JiscMail user.
JiscMail neither moderates nor edits messages before they are posted to
the list.

     JiscMail cannot assume any responsibility for the content of any
messages sent to lists other than those from JiscMail themselves and we
do not review, screen or edit the content."

     We have added a sub-section called "Service Performance" to describe
how we alert list owners of downtime (planned/unplanned).

     === Update:Section 10: Data Protection
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/index.html#9 ===

     The Data protection section has been updated to reference new
legislation, and the following statement:
     "The Data Protection Schedule sets out JiscMail's obligations to
each list owner (the data Controller) with regard to any Personal Data
it processes on behalf of the list owner. In the event of any conflict
between the Data Protection Schedule and any other provision of these
service policies, the relevant provision of the Data Protection Policy
shall take precedence."

     The final bullet point, about helpline enquiries, has been updated
to refer to Jisc's privacy notice
https://www.jisc.ac.uk/website/privacy-notice

     As always, if you have any questions about these changes, or want
any help or information about your lists, please contact us at

     Thanks for supporting JiscMail.

     Lisa Vincent

     Collaboration services manager

     www.jiscmail.ac.uk