ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS Archives

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS Home

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  August 2018

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS August 2018

EASA lab on hindu-christian dance

Maria Caterina Mortillaro <[log in to unmask]>

Maria Caterina Mortillaro <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Aug 2018 00:06:09 +0200

Dear all,
I want to propose you my lab at EASA18 in Stockholm.
Thank you

Migration of gestures: the process of decoding Indian dance mudras in
Christian context
SO-F420
14 Aug, 2018 at 10:30
1
Convenor

   - M. Caterina Mortillaro (Universit√† di Milano Bicocca) email

Mail All Convenors
Short abstract

This lab offers the chance to go through the process of decoding I
experienced during my research about the gestures of Indian dance and their
migration in the Christian context. This method involves embodiment,
elicitation and drawing.

To participate, please preregister via mcmortillaro(at)gmail.com
Long abstract

The language of gesture (mudras) of Indian dance is very dense and
stratified. Such as in the language of the dumb, each gesture has multiple
meanings depending on the context. They are related to the complex system
of meanings of Hinduism and Indian culture. Thus, the migration of these
gestures into the Christian context leads to the overlaying of new
connotations coming from a different religious environment. For example,
the most important personalities of the Bible and some theological concepts
are depicted with a combination of mudras called deva hastas.

When I had to decode Christian Indian dances, I combined different methods.
First I tried to learn the gestures through my body. Then I draw the most
important Christian deva hastas in order to fix them. Finally, I filmed the
dances and started a work of elicitation with my interlocutors.

In this lab I invite the participants to go through the same path. They
will perform the mudras and learn the main meanings of them. I will show
them some of my drawings. They will try to understand the meaning of some
deva hastas. Then, I will show them some videos, encouraging them to
formulate an explanation on the basis of what they have learnt. At the end,
I will invite the participants to imagine a way to depict some simple
passes of the Bible using some of these gestures.

Timing: 105 min long.

To preregister, please email mcmortillaro(at)gmail.com

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1