To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=AI3SD;64b8c2fa.1907p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Intelligence for Automated Investigations for Scientific Discovery
AI3SD Newsletter: Issue 5
In this Newsletter:

AI3SD Network+ Conference Registration | AI3SD Event Reports | AI3SD-FundingCall2
| Events of Interest | AI3SD Membership | Subscription Details
AI3SD Network+ Conference Registration

Registration is now open for our end of year Conference! Please register on our Eventbrite Page and share this event with colleagues who you think may be interested!

Image

As some of you will know we launched in December 2018, and this conference marks the end of our first year. This is a two day event with a mixture of keynote talks from experts in different areas of AI for Scientific Discovery, and discussions around different research areas. There will be dedicated time for networking and we will be implementing a smart badge system whereby attendees can mark their badges according to whether they are looking for a collaborator, employment, job candidates, PhD students etc. We will report on the activities of AI3SD over the last year, including the workshops and hackathons we have run and attended, and there will be an opportunity to hear from the projects we funded in AI3SD-FundingCall1. On the evening of the 18th there will be drinks and networking in the Winchester Science Centre followed by a pre dinner talk by famous Science Communicator Steve Mould! This will be followed by a formal conference dinner at the Holiday Inn.

The conference includes sessions for contributed talks and presenting virtual posters through flash talks. If you wish to submit a poster or an abstract for a talk please fill in our AI3SD 2019 Poster Submission Form or our AI3SD 2019 Abstract Submission Form.

If you have any queries about the conference please email Samantha Kanza, the AI3SD Network+ Coordinator on [log in to unmask]

AI3SD Event Reports

A number of new reports of recent event reports are available to view on our website:

AI3SD & MDC AI in Drug Discovery & Drug Safety Workshop - 6th March 2019
This joint workshop was run with the Medicines Discovery catapult at Alderley Park Conference Centre. It was a very well received event, there was a strong industry presence among the attendees and several representatives from different Universities. There were four keynote talks and working group discussions on topics that were elicited from initial open discussions after the presentations. The report, written by Dr Wendy Warr, can be found here: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/432067/

AI for Materials Discovery Workshop - 19th March 2019
This workshop was hosted at the University of Southampton and was very well attended workshop, with over 60 participants attending across the University of Southampton and representatives from many other Universities and Research Institutes, with some industry attendees also. This workshop ran across an afternoon and was made up of five keynote talks which generated a lot of questions and discussions! The report, written by Dr Nicola Knight and Dr Colin Bird, can be found here: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/432068/

AI3SD Semantics & Knowledge Learning for Chemical Design Workshop - 1st May 2019
This workshop consisted of a small group of experts who are interested in using semantic web technologies to improve and progress scientific discovery. There were five keynote talks followed by some group discussions. The report, written by Dr Samantha Kanza, can be found here: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/432447/

Machine Learning for Materials Science Workshop - 6th May 2019
AI3SD offers funding for ECR members of AI3SD looking to attend conferences that are relevant to the Network+. We funded Dr James Cumby from the University of Edinburgh to attend this five day workshop focused on applying machine learning to materials discovery or understanding, which is highly pertinent to AI3SD as AI for Materials Discovery is one of our main themes. The report, written by Dr James Cumby can be found here: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/432293/

AI3SD-FundingCall2

Our second funding call will be announced on the 2nd August 2019.

As before there will be a Network+ Town Meeting on the 11th September for prospective applicants to ask questions and seek collaborators. We will be making time available at each AI3SD Meeting for project networking, and there will an opportunity to present flash talks at our AI3SD Conference 2019 to seek additional collaborators.

The Key dates are as follows:
2nd August 2019 – Announce Call on Website
11th September 2019 - Town Meeting (at Wide Lane Southampton)
19th December 2019 – Application Deadline
5th February 2020 – Formal Call Announce
More information will be posted here in due course: AI3SD-FundingCall2 Page

There will also be opportunities for networking and to find potential collaborators at our AI3SD Network+ Conference in November.

Events of Interest

We have a Meetings of Interest page on our website where we have a comprehensive list of meetings that AI3SD Members might be interested in attending. The upcoming meetings in the next few months are:

2nd RSC-BMCS / RSC-CICAG Artificial Intelligence in Chemistry - 2nd-3rd September 2019
Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge CB3 0JD, UK
https://www.maggichurchouseevents.co.uk/bmcs/AI-2019.htm

20th SCI/RSC Medicinal Chemistry Symposium - 8th-11th September 2019
Churchill College, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, Storey's Way, Cambridge CB3 0DS, UK
http://www.rsc.org/events/detail/35363/20th-sci-rsc-medicinal-chemistry-symposium

Chemistry Networks: Focus on AI & Machine Learning - 25th September 2019
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/chemistry-networks-2019-focus-on-ai-and-machine-learning-tickets-62298582738

Smart Labs & Laboratory Informatics Congress - 25th-26th September 2019
London, UK
https://www.oxfordglobal.co.uk/smartlabs-congress/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SmartLabs-and-LabInformatics-2019-Brochure-1.pdf

AI3SD Membership

We now have 338 members on the mailing list which covers individuals from over 30 different academic institutions and over 35 different companies. Membership of this list defines membership of the AI3SD Network.

Joining instructions

Send an email to: mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following details: