To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=AI3SD;51279959.1908p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Intelligence for Automated Investigations for Scientific Discovery
AI3SD Newsletter: 6
In this Newsletter:

AI3SD Funding Call 2 | Upcoming AI3SD Events | AI3SD Events of Interest
| AI3SD Membership | Subscription Details
AI3SD Funding Call 2

Announcing the second AI3SD Funding Call!

We are pleased to announce our first AI3SD funding call: http://www.ai3sd.org/funding/ai3sd-funding-list/02082019-ai3sdfundingcall2

The following priority areas are:
- Novel Machine Learning for Chemical and Materials discovery
- Novel Active Learning AI in the Chemical Sciences
- New AI based methods for Scientific Discovery in Chemistry

The Key dates are as follows:
- 2nd August 2019 – Announce Call on Website
- 11th September 2019 – AI3SD Network+ Town Meeting & Funding Workshop at Wide Lane, Southampton (Eventbrite Link)
- 19th December 2019 – Application Deadline (application forms must be sent to Samantha Kanza the Network+ Coordinator at [log in to unmask])
- 5th February 2020 – Formal Call Results Announcement

Please read the Guidance Document carefully before filling in the Application Form (both files can be downloaded by following these links, or from the AI3SD Documents Page). The Terms and Conditions can be found in our AI3SD Network+ Award Agreement.

Please note: Individual projects can request up to £40,000 funding (total spend up to £50,000 as per FEC 80%). Applicants will be awarded 80% of the full cost, and the institution receiving the award is responsible for the remaining 20%.

If you have any questions please contact our Network+ Coordinator Dr Samantha Kanza on [log in to unmask]

Upcoming AI3SD Events

Here at AI3SD we are planning a further four events for 2019. Every event now has a fixed date and location, and as formal Eventbrite pages are made we will send out further details via the mailing list so keep an eye here and on our Website Events Page.

Network+ Town Meeting & Funding Workshop - 11/09/2019 - Wide Lane Sports Ground, Eastleigh
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ai3sd-network-town-meeting-funding-workshop-tickets-65421219629
We will be holding a Network+ Town Meeting on 11th September 2019 at the Wide Lane Sports Grounds in Eastleigh (10:00-17:00). This meeting has been organised to provide useful information about both the AI3SD-FundingCall2 and funding call applications in general. There will be talks from experts in the areas of IP for AI and building sustainable research software, there will be a top tips for writing your funding application session where we will provide advice on strengthening your applications based on previous experience of reviewing funding applications. There will also be an opportunity to ask questions about our second funding call and to find other people / institutions to collaborate with. We strongly encourage all interested parties to come along, as we hope that this event will not only answer any questions you have, but offer an opportunity to match up companies with academic institutes for collaboration on projects proposals. All questions and answers will be written up and added to our Funding Call Page as an FAQ.

AI3SD Machine Learning for Chemistry Training Workshop & Hackathon - 12-13/09/2019 - Wide Lane Sports Ground, Eastleigh
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ai3sd-machine-learning-for-chemistry-training-workshop-hackathon-tickets-65426429211
This training workshop and hackathon is intended to help upskill scientists in AI and Machine Learning techniques for Chemistry and provide some challenges to test out their new skills. This event will run over two days with lunch and dinner provided on day 1 and lunch provided on day 2. Day 1 will begin with some training courses to add to or refresh your knowledge, followed by creating your teams and choosing which challenge you wish to address! There will be mentors on hand to provide advice during the hacking, and there will be pizza provided and the use of the wide lane facilities until 8pm. On day 2, the morning will be spent hacking and after lunch the groups will come together to present their work!

AI3SD & Internet of Food Things Network+ AI and Allergen Detection Workshop - 17th October 2019
Society of Chemical Industry, 15 Belgrave Square, Belgravia, London SW1X 8PS

AI3SD Network+ Conference 2019 - 18-19/11/2019 - Winchester Holiday Inn & Winchester Science Centre
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ai3sd-network-conference-2019-tickets-62347295439
As some of you will know we launched in December 2018, and this conference marks the end of our first year. This is a two day event with a mixture of keynote talks from experts in different areas of AI for Scientific Discovery, and discussions around different research areas. There will be dedicated time for networking and we will be implementing a smart badge system whereby attendees can mark their badges according to whether they are looking for a collaborator, employment, job candidates, PhD students etc. We will report on the activities of AI3SD over the last year, including the workshops and hackathons we have run and attended, and there will be an opportunity to hear from the projects we funded in AI3SD-FundingCall1. On the evening of the 18th there will be drinks and networking in the Winchester Science Centre followed by a pre dinner talk by famous Science Communicator Steve Mould! This will be followed by a formal conference dinner at the Holiday Inn.

AI3SD Events of Interest

We have a Meetings of Interest page on our website where we have a comprehensive list of meetings that AI3SD Members might be interested in attending. The upcoming meetings in the next few months are:

2nd RSC-BMCS / RSC-CICAG Artificial Intelligence in Chemistry - 2nd-3rd September 2019
Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge CB3 0JD, UK

20th SCI/RSC Medicinal Chemistry Symposium - 8th-11th September 2019
Churchill College, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, Storey's Way, Cambridge CB3 0DS, UK
http://www.rsc.org/events/detail/35363/20th-sci-rsc-medicinal-chemistry-symposium

3rd Exchange Workshop of the UK Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) Network - 9th-10th September 2019
University of Reading, Reading, UK
http://www.qsp-uk.net/reading-2019.html

Chemistry Networks: Focus on AI & Machine Learning - 25th September 2019
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/chemistry-networks-2019-focus-on-ai-and-machine-learning-tickets-62298582738

Smart Labs & Laboratory Informatics Congress - 25th-26th September 2019
London, UK
https://www.oxfordglobal.co.uk/smartlabs-congress/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SmartLabs-and-LabInformatics-2019-Brochure-1.pdf

AI3SD Membership

We now have 340 members on the mailing list which covers individuals from over 30 different academic institutions and over 35 different companies. Membership of this list defines membership of the AI3SD Network.

Joining instructions

Send an email to: mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following details: