To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=AI3SD;1d548ec0.1903p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Intelligence for Automated Investigations for Scientific Discovery
AI3SD Newsletter: Issue 3
In this Newsletter:

AI3SD-FundingCall1 Awards

Announcing our successful Funding Applications!

We are pleased to announce that we are able to offer funding to three projects for AI3SD-FundingCall1 (pending successful contract negotiations). The successful projects are:

Project Title: Predicting the Activity of Drug Candidates where there is No Target
Principal Investigator: Professor Matthew Todd
Lead Institution: UCL
Project Partners: Auromind, ExScientia & Intellegens

Project Title: 'Next-next' Generation Quantum DNA Sequencing with Chemical Surface Design and Capsule Nets
Principal Investigator: Professor Tim Albrecht
Lead Institution: University of Birmingham
Project Partner: City, University of London

Project Title: Deep learning enhanced quantum chemistry: Pushing the limits of Materials Discovery
Principal Investigator: Dr Reinhard J. Maurer
Lead Institution: University of Warwick
Project Partners: University of Strathclyde & Carnegie Mellon University

AI3SD-FundingCall2

Our second funding call will be announced on the 2nd August 2019.

As before there will be a Network+ Town Meeting on the 11th September for prospective applicants to ask questions and seek collaborators. We will be making time available at each AI3SD Meeting for project networking, and there will an opportunity to present flash talks at our AI3SD Conference 2019 to seek additional collaborators.

The Key dates are as follows:
2nd August 2019 – Announce Call on Website
19th December 2019 – Application Deadline
5th February 2020 – Formal Call Announce
More information will be posted here in due course: AI3SD-FundingCall2 Page

Call for Papers for AI4Good @ WebSci19

We are delighted to tell you that AI3SD will be running an AI4Good Workshop at the WebSci19 Conference in Boston on the 30th June!

We invite you to submit papers for our workshop: How to use AI for Good: The Ethical and Societal Implications of using AI in Scientific Discovery. Please see our Website with our Call for Papers to get involved!

AI4Good Website

Key Dates
Calls for Papers Opens: 26th February 2019
Paper Submission via EasyChair: 1st April 2019
Notification of Acceptance: 16th April 2019
Camera Ready Papers: 1st May 2019
Workshop At WebSci19: 30th June 2019

Welcoming Dr Nicola Knight

We are delighted to welcome a new member of the AI3SD Network+ Team - Dr Nicola Knight!

Image

Dr Nicola Knight is a Research Assistant at the University of Southampton. She completed her Masters of Chemistry (MChem) at the University of Southampton previously before undertaking a PhD in Chemistry under the supervision of Professor Jeremy Frey. Her PhD focused on the interface between Chemistry and Computing with research in chemical modelling, remote experiments and the implementation of IoT technology in scientific research. Nicola’s current research interests are in the use of computing in scientific labs and notetaking with particular interest in IoT technologies and streamlining the research process.

AI3SD Publication

Dr Samantha Kanza & Professor Jeremy Frey had an article accepted into Expert Opinion in Drug Discovery entitled: "A new wave of innovation in Semantic Web Tools for Drug Discovery"

The full article can be found here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460441.2019.1586880

If you have any relevant publications you want highlighted please let us know.

Competitions of Interest

These competitions may be of interest to AI3SD members:

Drug Discovery Biotech Competition - 29th March 2019
BioTarget is a global biotech competition aimed at identifying and supporting those working on new molecules for cancer therapy. Research groups with entrepreneurial ambitions and young biotech companies can submit a proposal at https://www.biotarget.org/ by March 29th. The shortlisted candidates will be invited for a pitch event in London, UK, and the three winners will receive free experimentation worth up to $100,000 in Europe’s leading robotic cloud lab to reach their next milestone.

NCATS ASPIRE Design Challenges - 31st May 2019
NCATS is excited to announce the A Specialized Platform for Innovative Research Exploration (ASPIRE) Design Challenges for translational innovation in pain, opioid use disorder (OUD) and overdose:
- Challenge 1: Integrated Chemistry Database
- Challenge 2: Electronic Synthetic Chemistry Portal
- Challenge 3: Predictive Algorithms
- Challenge 4: Biological Assays
- Challenge 5: Integrated Solution
Submissions are expected to be designs, not final products or prototypes. The prize purse for each challenge is $500,000 [$2.5M total]; up to 5 winners will receive up to $100,000 (Challenges 1-4) and up to 2 winners will receive up to $250,000 (Challenge 5). NCATS envisions following this initial design competition with a distinct, subsequent reduction-to-practice challenge. Non-US citizens are eligible to enter as part of teams with a US citizen team leader.
https://challenge.gov/a/buzz/challenge

If you are running relevant competitions you want highlighted please let us know.

Jobs of Interest

These jobs may be of interest to AI3SD members:

Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Chemistry at University of Warwick

The Department of Chemistry at the University of Warwick is currently seeking to recruit an Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Chemistry, with an anticipated start date of 1 September 2019. Candidates should have an outstanding track record in both research and teaching (appropriate for career stage), and demonstrate imaginative research plans for the future. Applicants are expected to work in the broadly-interpreted field of artificial intelligence and/or machine learning, and in application domains which sit at the interface of experimental and computational chemistry. The closing date for applications is on April 7.

Full details can be found here: Assistant Professor Job

If you are advertising any relevant jobs you want highlighted please let us know.

AI3SD Membership

We now have 310 members on the mailing list which covers individuals from over 30 different academic institutions and over 35 different companies. Membership of this list defines membership of the AI3SD Network.

Joining instructions

Send an email to: mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following details: