==== First Call for Papers ====
1st International Workshop on Reframing Research (RefResh 2018) at the The International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries.
Date: 12 or 13 September 2018
Venue: Porto, Portugal
Twitter Hashtag: #refresh2018
# IMPORTANT DATES
- Workshops papers submission deadline: 3 June 2018, 23:59 Hawaii Time (sharp)
- Workshops papers acceptance notification: 10 June 2018, 23:59 Hawaii Time (sharp)
- Early-bird registrations deadline: 11 June 2018, 23:59 Hawaii Time
- Camera ready version due: 6 July 2018, 23:59 Hawaii Time
The main objective of RefResh 2018 is to bring together researchers from both quantitative and qualitative studies, practitioners and policymakers working in the field of academic research, scholarly communication, and knowledge production in order to reframe research in relation to the underlying socioeconomic and geopolitical canvas.
In particular, we intend to encourage interdisciplinary analysis that considers research as a complex system that influences and is influenced by society, economics, culture, and politics. This would include analysis of academic social networks and interactions among different communities, exploration of factors influencing or preventing scientific collaboration and knowledge dissemination, exploration of trends, polarisations and biases in research, methodologies, indicators and measures for assessing research impact on society and industry, policies and practices fostering a better scientific progress, and so on.
# TOPICS OF INTEREST
We encourage submission of papers covering, but not limited to, one or more of the following topics:
- Research equality, fair opportunities, and access to funding streams
- Gender, racial and geographic trends and biases
- Societal impact of research
- Impact of Open Access and Open Science
- Policymaking and strategic decision for research
- Mutual influence of research and politics
- Predatory publishing and bogus conferences
- Misrepresentation of science and public opinion mining
- Structure and evolution of science
- Evolution and distribution of research concepts
- Acceleration of scientific progress
- x.metrics (scientometrics, informetrics, and altmetrics)
- Analysis of patterns and trends in academia
- Assessment of interdisciplinarity
- Identification of knowledge gaps
- Research trajectories and careers
- Traditional publishing caveat and criticism (e.g., publishing models, peer-review process, etc.)
All submissions must be written in English and should be submitted in PDF using the should follow Springer LNCS guidelines (available at http://www.springer.com/gp/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines).
We invite three kinds of submissions:
- full research papers (up to 12 pages, LNCS format)
- short/position papers (up to 6 pages, LNCS format)
- data papers (up to 6 pages, LNCS format), presenting motivations and methodology behind the creation of a dataset precious for the community.
Papers have to be submitted through EasyChair conference management system at : https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=refresh2018
Papers will be evaluated according to their significance, originality, technical content, style, clarity, and relevance to the workshop. RefResh also supports the Linked Research principles; we applaud authors having care to consider them when preparing their papers.
The proceeding of the workshop will be published in the CEUR workshop proceedings series (http://ceur-ws.org).
The papers acceptance notification of the workshop is aligned with the conference registration. If an article is accepted, at least one author must register for the conference and present it during the RefResh 2018 workshop.