AAHPN March 2009

AAHPN

Adam Oliver <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:25:13 -0000

The latest on Obama's proposals is below.

We haven't really talked too much lately about the Anglo aspect of the Anglo-American network. The fact is (I think), there's not that much new happening re. health policy here. There is a heavy emphasis on pushing quality (whatever that means), arising in large part out of the Darzi review, there is another big push on health inequalities (probably driven by our Health Secretary, Alan Johnson, who himself grew up in disadvantaged circumstances), there are seemingly increasing efforts to stop people drinking too much, and generally, to uptake healthier lifestyles (a new 30 million programme to create 'healthy towns', which doesn't seem to be being evaluated very well). There is also a big push for greater disclosure of performance of providers etc., in the hope of generating league table competition. There are a lot of parallels between what's going on (or at least being proposed) in the US and in England, actually. Maybe its due to Americans really deep down thinking that they're still British subjects?

The Sunday Times had a big spread this weekend saying that people are getting fed up with Obama overexposing himself, so to speak (i.e. they'd rather watch X Factor, or whatever it's called). So please feel free to tell me to shut up, because I need to sustain a popularity rating that at least reaches single digits, for my own self esteem.

SPOTLIGHT: OBAMA POINTS TO HEALTH CARE
President Obama during a prime-time news conference links issues within the U.S. budget in part to high health care costs. He says that "almost every single person" who has examined the nation's budget has concluded that the government must find a way to reduce health care costs. Obama says, "It's going to be an impossible task to balance our budget if we are not tackling rising health care costs." However, he says, "We're not going to be able to do it this year or next year or three years from now." Obama says that congressional lawmakers likely will maintain his budget priorities in their budget resolutions. He says, "We never expected when we printed out our budget that they would simply Xerox it and vote on it," adding, "The bottom line is that I want to see health care, energy, education and serious efforts to reduce our budget deficit." (story) <>