Help for COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE Archives

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE Archives

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE Archives

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE Home

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE Home

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE  July 2004

COMPARATIVE-LITERATURE July 2004

request for assistance on textual references

Peter Davies <[log in to unmask]>

Comparative Literature <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:07:33 +0100

I am annotating The Shape of Things to Come for a new edition to be published by
Penguin next year. I have prepared 61 pages of notes, but have a number of
references which seem to need annotations, but for which I cannot find the
material to annotate them. If you know anything that might assist me in this
matter, however small, I would be very interested to hear from you. The
references I need assistance on are as follows (if you need further data from
the novel, please let me know):

----------------
I am in need of the following information to complete the notes for a new
edition of Wells's The Shape of Things to Come. The page references are to the
British 1933 first edition, published by Hutchinson. If you can supply me with
an information about these references, I would be very appreciative.

p. 35: Emesal Gudeka of Nippur, the early Sumerian fabulist: I NEED DATES OF
BIRTH AND DEATH, AND A SENTENCE ABOUT WHO HE WAS.

p. 36: the shattered Yu-chow machine: DID SUCH A FLYING MACHINE EVER EXIST?

p. 36: the Aalesund tablets: I THINK THESE TABLETS RELATE TO THE NORSE DISCOVERY
OF NORTH AMERICA, BUT DID THEY / DO THEY EXIST?

p. 36: the early Chinese inscriptions in the caves near Bahia Coqui: WERE IS
BAHIA COQUI AND DO CHINESE INSCRIPTIONS REALLY EXIST IN THE CAVES?

p. 41: 'such an abundance, such a prosperity and richness of opportunity': THIS
IS A QUOTE FROM A 1929 SCOTTISH NEWSPAPER, BUT WHAT WAS THE PRECISE DATE, WHAT
WAS THE ARTICLE AND WHO THE AUTHOR?

p. 43: Peter Raut, the American progressive leader: WELLS CITES RAUT AS WRITING
IN THE 1930S - DID SUCH A PERSON REALLY EXIST? I NEED HIS BIRTH AND DEATH DATES
AN A SENTENCE ABOUT HIM.

p. 46: Prof. Chandra Sen / Bengali satirist, Professor K. Chandra Sen: WAS THERE
SUCH A MAN, BORN IN 1897? MIGHT BE SPELT CHUNDER SEN.

p. 47: Nurmi ratios in the blood: WHAT ARE THESE?

p. 49: there are some allusions to a chair of Social Psychology: WHEN WAS THE
CHAIR IN SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY ESTABLISHED AT THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS, AND
WHO WAS THE FIRST PROFESSOR?

p. 60: the Bantam warrior-king: TO WHOM DOES THIS REFER?

p. 60: the Polish Brotherhood: WAS THERE A POLISH TERRORIST ORGANISATION OF THIS
NAME IN THE INTERWAR PERIOD?

p. 61: Patella metal hats: WHAT ARE THESE? (PERHAPS SOLDIERS' TIN HATS?

p. 62: The amalgamation of the military and civil hospital and medical services
began in France as early as 1933: IS THIS TRUE?

p. 68: Stephen Freudheim: DID HE EXIST? WHAT WERE HIS BIRTH AND DEATH DATES AND
WHO WAS HE?

p. 77: Outstaying My Welcome, by Fritz Schiff, 1923: IS THIS A REAL BOOK? WHAT
ARE THE DATES OF SCHIFF?

p. 89: Luke Zimmern's Entwickelung und Geschichte von Kruppismus, 1913: IS THIS
A REAL BOOK? WHAT ARE THE DATES OF ZIMMERN?

pp. 91-92: Mr Shearer: in 1927, William Baldwin Shearer was hired for $25,000 a
year by the New York Shipbuilding Company, the Bethlehem Steel Company and the
Newport News Shipbuilding Company to go to Naval Disarmament Conference in
Geneva to lobby for a treaty of naval parity for the USA, or, failing that, no
treaty at all. The failure of the conference to reach agreement was, therefore,
considered much to his credit. However, in 1929, Shearer took the shipbuilders
to court over breech of contract on the grounds that he was owed $250,000,
whereas the shipbuilders argued his salary had been settled. The Senate Naval
Affairs Committee investigated the affair and criticised the shipbuilding
industry for promoting naval rearmament, though the Committee ignored the role
of the press and the US Navy in promoting Shearer's activities at the
conference. WHEN WAS HE BORN AND WHEN DIED?

p. 113: for some months Kreuger was able to pass off as genuine a package of
forged Italian bonds amounting to about half a million dollars, and to obtain
advances upon them from reputable lenders: KREUGAR'S BUSINESS PARTNER WAS PAUL
TOLL - WHEN DID TOLL DIE AND WHEN BORN?

p. 113: the Balkan Gang: WAS THERE SUCH A GROUP IN THE INTERWAR PERIOD WHO MADE
MILLIONS THROUGH FINANCIAL SPECULATION, AND PERHAPS ILLEGAL MONEY LAUNDERING?

p. 115: One lived, as one contemporary writer put it, in 'a world bewitched':
WHOSE QUOTE IS THIS FROM THE 1920S?

p. 118: from the pen of H. M. Tomlinson (1873-1969) one of the best of English
descriptive writers: Tomlinson (1873-1958) IS QUOTED descriBING LIFE IN A
COLLIERY TOWN NEAR WALES IN THE EARLY 1930S - IN WHAT TOMLINSON BOOK DOES SUCH
A DESCRIPTION APPEAR?

p. 120: Such phrases, for example, as 'Cosmopolis, Inflation and Public
Employment' (from a British provincial newspaper article in 1932): - WHICH
PAPER, WHAT WAS THE ARTICLE AND WHO WAS THE AUTHOR?

p. 133: an embargo that England had put upon Irish exports: DID BRITAIN PLACE AN
EMBARGO ON IRISH EXPORTS IN THE 1930S - IF SO DURING WHAT PERIOD DI IT LAST?

p. 140: a speech of his upon the Old and New Technical Intelligenzia made in
June 1931 (Historical Documents Series, Stalinism, XM 327,705) is a very frank
admission of the primary necessity in the modern community of the 'non-party'
man of science and of special knowledge: WHEN WAS STALIN'S BOOK 'STALINISM'
PUBLISHED?

p. 167: armoured Wurms: THIS SOUNDS LIKE A KIND OF TANK - WAS THERE EVER SUCH A
THING BY THIS NAME?

p. 209: Benito Caruso: AN AMERICAN POLITICIAN IN THE 1930S? PROBABLY MADE UP I
THINK.

p. 209: Louchère: A FRENCH POLITICIAN OF THE 1930S?

p. 209: Chavanne: A FRENCH POLITICIAN OF THE 1930S?

p. 229: various French Chambers of Commerce had supplemented the deficiency in
small change by local token coinages: DID THIS REALLY OCCUR? PLEASE GIVE
DETAILS / EXAMPLES?

p. 244: 'Technocracy': THE TERM TECHNOCRACY WAS COINED BY W. H. SMITH, AN
AMERICAN ENGINEER (NOT THE BRITISH NEWSAGENT) IN 1919 - WHEN WAS SMITH BORN AND
WHEN DIED?

p. 248: Pantheon: IS THIS A NEW YORK THEATER? WHEN DID IT OPEN? DOES IT STILL
EXIST?

p. 249: the Technological School: WAS THERE A FORD TECHNICAL SCHOOL AT DEARBORN
BEFORE 1933? IF SO WHEN DID IT OPEN, WHAT WAS ITS NAME AND WHEN DID IT CLOSE?

p. 249: Museum of American Life: THE HENRY FORD MUSEUM WAS OPENED IN 1928 AT
DEARBORN - WAS IT EVER CALLED THE MUSEUM OF AMERICAN LIFE? IF SO WHEN?

p. 285: M. Pierre Denis: A FRIEND OF HENRI DE JOUVENAL WHO PROPOSED AN
INTERNATIONAL AIRFORCE? WHEN WAS HE BORN AND WHEN DIED?

p. 309: As one nineteenth century American writer lamented, in suitably archaic
English:

'How life Hath cheapened, and how blank

The Worlde is! like a fen

Where long ago unstained sank

The starrie gentlemen:

Since Marston Moor and Newbury drank

King Charles his gentlemen.

WHO WROTE THIS POEM, AND WHEN? WHAT IS IT CALLED?

p. 329: 'Outillage National': WHAT IS THIS FRENCH AGENCY - POSSIBLY A 1920S
SCHEME FOR HOUSING DEVELOPMENT?

p. 416: The Juvenile Treat: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN / REFER TO?

p. 419: Rudolph Boyle (1910-??): IS THIS A REAL PERSON? WHO WAS HE AND WHEN DID
HE DIE?

Many thanks for your assistance.

John

Dr John S. Partington and Barbara Ghiringhelli, Flat 2, 98 Salisbury Road,
Reading RG30 1BN, England. Home: +118-957 5957. Mobile: +771-986