Dear Chris,

A few suggestions intended to help.

Have a look at   Rudyard Kipling - the man, his work and his world. Ed by John Gross Weidenfeld and Nicholson 1972 - the section entitled The finest story about India - in English by Niraud Chaudhri.

Also the Edward Said introduction the the Penguin Edition 1987

I have some cuttings which I can send you -  one by Aung San Suu Kyi and another of  Barbara Trapido's choice of Book of the Century.

We have an enormous number of reference to Kim in the 299 issues of the Kipling journal - you could consult that on our web site, an visit our library at City University.

Best wishes   Michael Smith (Hon.Sec.  Kipling Society)