dear paul,
Your description reminds me of "restless legs syndrome".  To my
knowledge currently some of the latest research in that area
suggests that there is a problem with ATP reformation within the
muscle, and that this may be responsible for the twitching and
contractions experienced at night when asleep, in this condition.
Now, you suggested that alcohol makes it worse.  Interestingly
in the RLS studies I have (somehwere - I'm a little rusty on the
physiology of the above explanation but can check it for you if
you like), they noted that patients were worse when extra tired.
Is it possible that alcohol, a CNS depressant has a similar effect?
Anyway, another thought is magnesium suppliments.  Magnesium
is directly responsible for relaxation of muscle (again, I'd have to c
check how - my physiology isn't that fresh), and I have successfully
treated night cramping with this.
Let me know.
Scott Epsley
Physiotherapist.
--

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:08:27   Paul Sumner wrote:
>Any ideas about one of my patients who was involved in an RTA 12 weeks ago and reaggravated an old S1 nerve root problem causing leg pain and foot p/n in the S1 distribution.
>Things have dramatically improved but he still c/o an involantary  twitching in the calf on the left side wosening at night especially after a good drinking session in town!
>Has any body got any good conservative / invasive ideas to alleviate this very annoying problem. His calf muscle power is 30 % weaker on the left and we are strengthening it also acupuncture was of no help.

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/