Steffan wrote:
"
Augustine's influence and radiation was mainly restricted to the Western
Church. However, we can find in some writings of important Eastern
(Orthodox) bishops references to St. Augustine. The most important:
patriarchs Photius..."
--------------
	Concerning the status of Augustine in the eyes of the Eastern Church,
the following may be of interest to our list. Between Dec. 843 and March
844, Photios drafted a letter of appeal to the Patriarch of Aquileia ( PG
102, 794-822) concerning the issue of the Filioque. Photios wrote his
appeal in an attempt to extirpate the interpolated Filioque from the very
place wherein a theology of interpolation was being developed. I take the
liberty of citing a passage from a work in progress ( hence, I apologize in
advance,as it is unrevised and yet unpublished) on The Council  at
Blachernae: Photios, the Aquilean Circle and the Franks.

"Fully aware of the extreme dependency of the Latin responsa upon the
writings of Augustine and a few select Latin Fathers  "who have written in
many places... that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son"(58) , Photios
does not deny the content of their teaching. Faced with the Latin responsa
or possibly Greek summaries of them prepared for him  in the
Chartophylakion (59) "We are indeed persuaded that they thought this."(60)
Rather he assaults the correctness of these teachings,and challenges the
Latin perception of the  basis of authoritative standing. " If ten or
twnety Fathers said this or that, many innumerable hundreds did not."(61)
It is not the writings of a handful of Fathers, even those whose writings
are impeccable in their orthodoxy, that constitute the basis of authority.
Even the greatest of Fathers has exhibited moments of ambiguity, of
unclear, or even incorrect assertions. Rather it is the decisions of the
Ecumenical Councils which must stand as the authority. One cannot restrict
oneself  to a circle of Fathers, especially those whose thinking is linked
by dependency, who contradict the the decisions of the Ecumenical Councils.
Secondly, Photios consoles, that by appeal to these Latin Fathers in
support of heresy, the Frankish theologians have actually aided the Church
by "uncovering" the errors of these good men. The proper act of respect for
the venerable Fathers, who erred on this one issue, would be to conceal,or
perhaps attempt to understand and explain their weakness  rather than to
act "in imitation of Ham."(62)  And lastly, Photios points out, it is not
the Greeks who assault "holy Augustine", but rather those who use his
teachings to oppose the teachings of Christ and the Ecumenical Councils:
 "If the Fathers...did not speak against our Lord, we too will not speak
against them. But if you say that they opposed the word of the Lord, it is
your duty to prefer the word of the Lord to them..." (63)
	Photios, consistent with his insistence upon an historical and
grammatical hermeneutic, pleads for a similar latitude in assessing the
writings of the Fathers. These lives and works of these  men demand our
sympathy and understanding. They lived in times of great perplexity and a
wide net of historical influences may have led them, despite their
orthodoxy, to flawed uncderstanding or even false teaching on a few issues.
"If [these] ...Fathers had spoken in opposition when the debated question
was brought before them and had fought it contentiously and had maintained
their opinion and had persevered in this false teaching,(64)  and when
convicted of it had held their doctrine until death, then they would
necessarily  be rejected together with the error of their mind. But if they
spoke badly or, for some reason not known to us, deviated from the right
path [orqotriboß], but no question was put to them, nor did anyone
challenge them to learn the truth, then we admit them to the list of the
Fathers, as if they had not said it__ because of their righteousness of
life and distinguished virtue and their faith, faultless in other respects.
We do not, however, follow their teaching in which they stray from the path
of truth... We, although we know that some of our Holy Fathers and teachers
strayed from the faith of true dogmas, do not take as doctrine those areas
in which they strayed; but rather we embrace the men. So also in the case
of any who are charged with teaching that the Spirit proceeds from the Son,
we do not admit what is opposed to the word of the Lord, but we also do not
cast them from the rank of the Fathers."(65)

Augustine retains the revered rank of 'Holy Father' even though he erred on
certain issues.
________________
58) PG 102, 809.
 59)The routine of ecclesiastical administration was basedon an
organization very similar to that of the Imperial administration. Of the
six chief officials directly responsible to the Patriarch , as well as
being members of the Holy Synod, the Great Chartophylax (o megaß cartofulax
)  was the most important. It was he who wasthe Patriarch's chancellor and
official secretary,assistingwith hiscorrespondence and sententiae . As such
his nane and seal often appear in the inscriptions of patriarchal edicts.
As chancellor, it was he who dealt with difficulties  of
ecclesiasticaljurisdiction, and disputes ( primarily property claims)
arising out of the marriage laws. See J. M. Hussey, Church and Learning in
the Byzantine Empire:  867-1185.  New York, Russell and Russell, 1963 repr.
of 1937. pp 122ff.
60) ibid.
61) PG 102,810.
62) PG 102, 811.
63)  PG 102, 811.
64)  A classic definition of a heretic. See     and Caeserius of Heisterbach,..
65)  PG 102, 813.

Josef Gulka

Josef Gulka
215- 732-8420