> Such questions persisted well into living memory.  I remember that,
> in 1970
> when I was being questioned during the diocesan examination before
> ordination, one of the examiners, a somewhat elderly priest, asked me
> what
> would have happened to the bread and wine if the apostles had
> celebrated
> mass in between the crucifixion and the ascension!

One of the scholastics - Albertus Magnus, I think - does discuss this
question and observes that it would have been possible, but not
fitting.

Actually, the first mention we have of the apostles meeting for 'the
breaking of bread' is immediately after Pentecost.  During the period
between Ascension and Pentecost Acts observes that the apostles 'with
one accord were constantly at prayer' (Acts 1:14);  but nothing is said
about the Eucharist.  However, immediately after Pentecost there are
two references to the Eucharist within a couple of verses:

'They met constantly to hear the apostles teach and to share the common
life, to break bread, and to pray' (Acts 2:42)

'. . . breaking bread in their homes' (Acts 2:46).

Luke's implication, I think, is that celebration of the Eucharist is
empowered by gift of the Holy Spirit, just as is the proclamation of
the Gospel.

oriens.