| One of the scholastics - Albertus Magnus, I think - does discuss this
| question and observes that it would have been possible, but not
| fitting.

I think also Bonaventure raises the question, since it goes the point
of what soure for the efficacy of this sacrament would be: Christ's
passion or his ressurection?  (Bonny decides for the former, I seem
to remember).

A somewhat related problem was the last supper itself: Alexander
of Hales asks: did Christ himself confect (conficere) the Eucharist
into his own body and blood?  Yes, a somewhat extended question
of logic, but Alexander takes it as an opportunity to reflect upon the
role of signification (signifier and signified, ooh those over-used
terms these days!) and real presence in the Eucharist.

All these questions also led to some important findings outside of
sacramental theology itself: for example, theories of instanteous
change, which lead directly into early modern theoretical physics,
derive initially from theologians' grappling with transubstantiation in
an Aristotelian context.

Cheers
Jim

Dr James R Ginther
Dept. of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT  UK

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: +44.113.233.6749
Fax:   +44.113.233.3654
                            -=*=-
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/trs/
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/cms/
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/trs/rg  **** NEW  ****
"First up ther wor nobbut God. An 'e said, "Ee, lad, turn th'bloody
light on."  -Yorkshire paraphase of Gen. 1.2