----------
From: Steve Giles <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: Assistenten programme
Date: 14 December 1999 15:33

I agree with your first 2 questions; but ironicaly, since 92 there
have been significant increases in students taking ml:  typically the
expansion has been in business studies etc with a language or in
joint honours. the body count in this dept has doubled in the last
10 years!
steve giles

> 3) There has been a reduction in the totals following A level courses in MFl
> since 1988 - in all languages, wouldn't this be reflected in the continuation
> into Higher Education?
>
> Regards
>  Gareth W Roberts
> MFL adviser for NW Wales
>

> > ----------
> > From: Elizabeth Boa <[log in to unmask]>
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Assistenten programme
> > Date: 13 December 1999 12:54
> >
> > Dear All
> >
> > I have accepted a last-minute invitation to attend a crisis meeting this
> > Thursday (16 December) concerning the lack of take-up by British students
> > to spend a year in Germany as assistants in schools.  There are currently
> > 500 places, but, it seems, only around 150 takers at the moment!
> >
> >  I should be very grateful for any comments, however brief, on why there is
> > such a short-fall.  Please do feed me any thoughts on this rather important
> > matter for our professional  relations with Germany.
> >
> > Elizabeth Boa
> > (current President CUTG)
> >
> > Prof Elizabeth Boa
> > Department of German
> > University of Nottingham
> > Nottingham, NG7 2RD
> > UK
> > [Tel. 0115-951-5818.]

dr s r giles
reader in german studies and critical theory
school of modern languages
university of nottingham
nottingham ng7 2rd
tel 0115 9515821