In a message dated 12/2/99 8:43:03 AM Pacific Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> We are now going to send WHO a list of HTA reports and systematic reviews,
>  but what else can we do? I think in times of evidence-based medicine an
>  organization such as WHO should not initiate world wide programs which
>  appear to rely only on expert advice.
>  Do you agree?  Any comments, ideas as to how we might encourage WHO to
adopt
>  evidence-based decision making?
>
>  Bernhard Gibis
Dear Dr Gibis:
   I absolutely agree!!  Coming from the United States where nearly all
recommendations regarding health policy result from expert opinion and not
evidence, I empathize heartily with you.
   I think that the root of the problem is the commercial forces that promote
such practices as bone density testing, including screening (probably,
especially screening)  These entities would for sure include the
pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs used to treat osteoporosis and
the companies that make the equipment to test for osteoporosis.  These
companies are expert at influencing the organizations that make
recommendations.  I am not sure how to get the organizations not to be thusly
influenced, but I am persuaded that those companies are a major part of the
problem.
Cheers and Best Wishes,
Brian
Brian Budenholzer, MD
Director, Clinical Enhancement & Development
CC18
Group Health Cooperative; Network Services Division
PO Box 204
Spokane, WA  99210-0204
USA

509/ 838-9100 X 7393