Dear all
Some time ago I posted a query asking for information on books/articles
on systematic reviewing of "non-trial" research, particularly focusing
on integrating different kinds of research in one review.

Perhaps significantly, most of the responses I received were from people
expressing interest in the subject, who wanted to know what responses I
had received.  I also received the following suggestions:

1. The Centre for Reviews and Dissemination and the University of York
is currently carrying out research on the development of criteria for
assessing the quality of non-randomised intervention studies.  Details
can be found at
http://www.hta.nhsweb.nhs.uk/projdets/962699.htm

2. The possibility of setting up a "Non-randomised Studies Methods
Group" was discussed at the VII Cochrane Colloquium in Rome.  The
website for the colloquium is
http://www.areas.it/roma99

3. A similar question was posted on the public health maillist a few
weeks ago.  A summary of replies (a list of references in this area) can
be read at
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/public-health/1999-10/0081.html

4. Helen Thomas at McMaster told me about a quality assessment tool they
have developed and used in 9 reviews of the effectiveness of public
health interventions (not all RCTs).  She can be contacted on

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Best wishes,
Rachel

--