On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, andrew herod wrote:

> I am not an expert on Chechnya by any stretch of the imagination, but I
> suspect that (at least) two things are at play here as to why NATO
> isn't condemning Russian activities.
>
> 1) The West doesn't really have any crucial interests at stake here
> (unlike in Yugoslavia).

I have doubts about this.  While I am not in a position to contribute
any substantial evidence I would be inclined to think that the fact that
the west is doing nothing suggests that it does have an interest.  Maybe
the oil wealth in the region is viewed as being better off in the hands of
the Russians than anyone else - perhaps so Russia can pay off debts it is
accruing?  Maybe it is also in the interest of the west to let Russia be
seen to be in a position to control the region and able to crush
resistance.

There is also a problem about how we in the west view the Chechens.  We
know so little about them i.e. the fighters who are under barrage right
now.  The popular view is that they are islamic fundamentalists or just
Chechen nationalists.  This perhaps tends to lessen our sympathies
with them.

I don't know exactly what to think, being so far away, being in a country
where the news media fails to inform, but reading press reports one cannot
help but feel that they deserve our support.  NATO brutally bombed from
17,000ft but Russia surrounds a city, threatens (or uses) chemical
weapons, attacks a people who have had a terrible history of oppression at
the hands of the Tsarist, Stalinist and now supposedly 'democratic'
Russian state(s).

I absolutely opposed NATO's actions and I absolutely oppose Russia's
action right now. While there are similarities between the two military
campaigns the actual tactics, methods and aims of the Russian offensive
appears to be very different. This perhaps makes the argument that because
NATO bombed Serbia, Russia now invades Chechnya, irrelevant. We are dealng
with different processes.  And let's not forget that around 80,000 people
died in the 1994 campaign and who knows how many in this campaign?

Anyway, seasons greetings.

Alistair

Alistair Fraser
1st Year MA Student