>Absolutely. The spatial displacement of an exploited class is
>perhaps even a more serious matter, morally and otherwise, than
>that of an ethnic group.

I had this thought:

At least with displacement based on class, there is a rationality behind
the actions (cold though it is) that is shared by both left and right.
Classes do exist. They are the products of production and consumption
within capitalism. It is entirely reasonable, from their point of view),
though morally wrong, for those in the exploiting classes to keep
exploiting the exploited.

Displacement based on ethnicity on the other hand is based entirely on
irrational fears and plainly wrong understanding of what it means to be
human.
Irrational behaviour is very much harder to deal with morally than rational
behaviour, because there is no argument that can ever be won with someone
who is irrational.

I am not saying that class exploitation is less serious than ethnic
discrimination. I am saying that ethnic discrimination is perhaps more
difficult to cope with morally.

I totally agree with Paul's original posting though (there's a first!)...

David.

David Wood
PhD Research Student ('Intelligence Sites in Rural North Yorkshire')
Centre for Rural Economy
Department of Agricultural Economics and Food Marketing
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU

0191 222 5305

|           stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal           |
|    if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig    |
| more info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm |