The purpose of this note is twofold:

1. Advance notice of a workshop (June 8th & 9th 2000, Lake District, UK) on the
topic of teaching/tutoring in on-line environments.

2. An invitation to contact me if you are interested in this area - whether or
not you'd be able to participate in the workshop itself.

This workshop is being organised under the auspices of IBSTPI (The
International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction -
http://www.ibstpi.org/) and Lancaster University's JISC-funded project on
Network Learning in Higher Education - http://csalt.lancs.ac.uk/jisc/)

The workshop is concerned with understanding how (good) on-line teachers do
what they do. Part of the agenda for the workshop will be the creation of some
draft competence frameworks and statements that may subsequently be used in the
design of training for on-line teachers/tutors, or in certification testing or
recruitment processes. Another part of the agenda is to construct a broader
understanding of teaching in on-line environments, looking particularly at the
actions, goals, knowledge and beliefs of more and less experienced on-line
teachers.

The audience for the workshop will be people with a strong interest in on-line
teaching - particularly where the learners are adults (e.g. in university
teaching, training/staff development in public sector organisations, networked
learning in corporations, etc). We aim to get a good mix of people with
research interests in this area and people who have professional experience of,
or responsibility for, recruiting or managing on-line teachers.

There is strong interest in this area among some of the larger players in the
networked learning field (e.g. among technology providers like Microsoft and
Lotus/IBM and in 'corporate/virtual universities' like Motorola U, British
Aerospace, etc).

Please email me for further information and to give me some idea of your
interest in/experience of this area.

Peter Goodyear

-------
Peter Goodyear
Professor of Educational Research
Editor, Instructional Science
CSALT, Department of Educational Research, Lancaster University
Lancaster LA1 4YL, England
Tel: +44 (0)1524 594373   Fax: +44 (0)1524 592914
CSALT: http://csalt.lancs.ac.uk/csalt/
Instructional Science: http://www.wkap.nl/journals/instructional_science